• 1931 NCAA men's javelin trivia

for a tough one, here's the results of that meet:

<<1. Ken Churchill (Cal) Sr 215-0

2. Elmo Nelson (Iowa) Jr 205-5

3. Homer Hein (Washington State) Jr 200-0

4. L.D. Weldon (Iowa) Sr 193-6

5. Ken McKenzie (USC) So 193-5

6. Sam Robinson (Auburn) Jr 190-6>>

so, the question is, what "fame" did 2 of the top 6 (OK, make it top 4, to simplify things) have, having nothing to do with this result?

In 1972, on my 1st T&FN Olympics tour, I stayed at a gasthaus in Garmisch-Parmitkirchen. One of the folks on the tour staying there was L.D. Weldon, the coach of Bruce (now Caitlyn) Jenner. Very nice man. Talked to him several times on the train to Munich. I was invited to a group table at the Garmisch USO with Weldon and Dave Wottle's parents (also staying at the same gasthaus). I was fortunate enough to meet with Jenner, Wottle (after the win & ceremony), and Jim Ryun (before the fall), who stopped by to say hello to Wottle's parents.

Comment

Is Homer Hein any relation to pro football HOFer Mel Hein?

Comment

Believe that Mel Hein also went to Washington State.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
          In 1972, on my 1st T&FN Olympics tour, I stayed at a gasthaus in Garmisch-Parmitkirchen. One of the folks on the tour staying there was L.D. Weldon, the coach of Bruce (now Caitlyn) Jenner. Very nice man. Talked to him several times on the train to Munich. I was invited to a group table at the Garmisch USO with Weldon and Dave Wottle's parents (also staying at the same gasthaus). I was fortunate enough to meet with Jenner, Wottle (after the win & ceremony), and Jim Ryun (before the fall), who stopped by to say hello to Wottle's parents.
          Yes, I do remember L.D. Weldon. I believe he was coaching at Graceland College in Iowa where Jenner went to school. I, too, was in Munich and remember traveling through London on the way to Munich with Dave Wottle's parents.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
            Is Homer Hein any relation to pro football HOFer Mel Hein?
            brother

Comment

Somewhat connected... RIP Mel Hein, Jr.

https://usctrojans.com/news/2020/7/9...sses-away.aspx

Comment

Working...
              X