Most Exciting World Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Exciting World Record

I'm not sure if this has been done before today, but if it has, we can skip this thread.

I want to know what is the most exciting world record you have witnessed in person.

You don't need to list every world record you have seen, just the most exciting one.

Now, what does "exciting" mean? I will leave that to you to figure out for yourself, however as a guideline, think of it as the world record that gave you the most pleasure.

When you give the world record, be sure to explain why you selected that particular record.

Please give only one world record. No ties are allowed. If you absolutely can't pick just one record, then flip a coin and pick it that way or don't post any.

I understand how difficult this task is, especially if you have witnessed several world records over the years (I have seen world records in every event except the marathon).

So, I will start the ball rolling by giving my choice. David Rudisha's 800 at the 2012 London Olympic Games. I pick this record because many people "expected" him to break the world record in London and he did it. For me, it was 1:40 of pure pleasure (I use to run the 800). I also picked this world record because it is still fairly fresh in my memory, unlike one of my first world records (Al Oerter's 1962 discus throw at 61.10 - the first official throw over 200').

You are allowed to pick a woman or a man's world record. You can also pick one that someone has already selected, but please stick to the rule of just one world record.

I've seen dozens of them, but of course the one that immediately leaps to my mind (pardon the pun) is Beamon's 8.90.

Comment

I'm a throws freak, so I have to go with Miklos Nemeth's JT record in Montréal.

Comment

I saw Billy Olson break the PV record in Albuquerque in 1986. As that is my only one, by definition it is the most exciting.

Comment

1991 / Tokyo / Men's Long Jump - Mike Powell !

Comment

Sorry, do you mean by "witness in person" being actually present in the venue or does it include watching TV?

If watching TV is included, this is an easy one: Virén's 10,000m 27.38.4 in Munich. One of the most memorable half-hours in my life. I was eight and in an extremely excited state of mind already before the race. And if you remember what happened during the race, you will understand the roller-coster kind of excitement.

If watching TV is not included, I have not witnessed too many WRs but another childhood's memory pops into mind. I was watching EC in Helsinki 1971 with my dad and sister, and my memory is that I had a moment of clairvoyance during women's discus. Without having ever before heard the name Faina Melnik, I said to them: "now Faina Melnik will throw a world record", which she actually did (64,22). (Whether this memory is 100% accurate, I cannot tell for sure after all these years.)

Comment

Olli picked my live WR - Viren's 27:38.4 WR (auto time 27:38.35). The incredible early pacing of Dave Bedford, the fall involving Viren & Mohamed Gammoudi, and the rest of the race, including Shorter's AR in 5th. Still the absolute best distance race I've seen live (missed Geb-Tergat at Sydney). Add to that, I won the daily T&FN Tour contest by picking Viren and the 27:38.4 time (tie-breaker) to the exact tenth of a second (the staff thought that was incredibly brilliant but not so - existing WR minus 1 second). Won about $50; that was my 1st T&FN tour.

Comment

J Rorick, I don't think I believe in your cool calculation. I think you too had a moment of clairvoyance.

Comment

"Witness in person" means you were in the stadium and saw this performance live (not watching on television or listening on the radio).

Comment

How intimate is "in person"? Can you be in stadium, on the track (not the infield)?

Comment

Tom Petranoff 99.72m.

I have to add, if it's possible to have a "worst" WR, Mills/Lindgren 27:11.6 6M was at a distance no longer recognized, was broken 17 days later by 24.6 seconds (Clarke, en route), and wasn't even the best race that day (Ryun beating Snell).

Sorry for digressing. Now back to bests.
                      Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Martin McGrady - 1:07.6. I was a sophomore in high school, a bunch of us took the bus and subway to MSG, and it was absolutely amazing!!!

Comment

I've only seen a few WRs, but Usain Bolt setting the 100m record in New York City in 2008 was pretty special. Some lightning caused a weather delay earlier in the meet. The heavily Jamaican crowd was vocal as ever. A lot of anticipation, since Bolt had been getting a bit of coverage as possibly the next great sprinter. The 100m was the final event of the evening, and Bolt destroyed the field. There was a collective gasp when the time came up. Tyson Gay ran 9.85 in 2nd, and he was never close.

Comment

Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
                            How intimate is "in person"? Can you be in stadium, on the track (not the infield)?
                            All that is required for "in person" is that you must have been inside the stadium at the time of the world record. If, for example, you left to go buy a hot dog, and missed seeing a world record, then I'm afraid you can not count that world record as one you witnessed. We trust that you were paying attention, while in the stadium. For example, you were in the stadium and were watching the high jump when a javelin thrower let loose with a world record throw. You can not count that world record since you were watching another event. If you were running on the track in an event while a shot putter set a new world record at the same time you were running, you can only count that world record if you actually saw it. In other words, your eyes have to be on the world record.

Comment

Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
                              And sorry Tom...Running a World Record doesn't count either...

Comment

Working...
                              X