Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP: Bobby Morrow, 84

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RIP: Bobby Morrow, 84

    https://www.valleycentral.com/news/l...es-away-at-84/


  • #2
    Vale Bobby. Joins his bronze-medal winning rival Hec Hogan who sadly passed nearly 60 years back.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've lots of pages, articles, pictures and statistics (PDF), and videos on Bobby Morrow: if you are in need just send me your e-mail through the message-box

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
        Vale Bobby. Joins his bronze-medal winning rival Hec Hogan who sadly passed nearly 60 years back.
        ? for Vault-emort and perhaps Tuariki - where does the term "Vale" come from in obituaries that I always see on Oceanic athletes?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

          ? for Vault-emort and perhaps Tuariki - where does the term "Vale" come from in obituaries that I always see on Oceanic athletes?
          The short answer is that vale is Latin for goodbye. Here's a long answer: https://thoughtsonaustralia.wordpres...llo-australia/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tandfman View Post

            The short answer is that vale is Latin for goodbye. Here's a long answer: https://thoughtsonaustralia.wordpres...llo-australia/
            Thanx, that is a good answer

            Comment


            • #7
              Bobby Morrow was one of those early heroes in our family. My older brother tried to imitate Morrow's smooth sprinting style as we would race each other in the alley in back of our two-flat house. I never won either against my brother or the mythical Bobby Morrow in the alley.
              Morrow was the "Bolt and Owens" of the 50's. He has some of those one of a kind achievements: 1) Sports Illustrated SOY and 2) High School stadium named after him.(previous discussed threads of track stars)
              After the 1960 OT he faded away and Dave Sime took over as the fastest man. I just read a long but sad bio of Morrow which I thought would have been a fairy tale ending to a hero as it was entitled "Fastest Nice Christian Boy in the World" by William Martin written in 1984. Very lengthy bio and like some the road after fame gets very hilly and at times very bumpy. The story ends on a good road and he will be remembered for the dreams he gave to young boys who sprinted there legs off in many alleys in the 50's. RIP.
              Last edited by midwestfan; 05-31-2020, 02:42 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well done, midwestfan.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tandfman View Post

                  The short answer is that vale is Latin for goodbye. Here's a long answer: https://thoughtsonaustralia.wordpres...llo-australia/
                  If you remember your Latin, vale meaning valley (as in Vale, OR, or the Vale of York) is one syllable, vāl; vale meaning farewell is two syllables, väʹlā.
                  Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    or the fairly common Latin phrase ave atque vale (hail & farewell)

                    first time I ever saw that was actually in the pages of T&FN (before I worked here)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      He really delivered the goods down in Melbourne 1956. When was the last time a world championship caliber 100m race was run into a +5.5mps wind. He totally dominated the field, likewise in the 200.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gh View Post

                        first time I ever saw that was actually in the pages of T&FN
                        Funnily enough, the first time I saw the use of the word 'vale' was in 'Australasian Athletics' - our little T&FN type publication in the seventies.

                        Coincidentally, if my memory is not playing tricks, the article was written by one of Bobby-Joe's rivals in 1956 - Mike Agostini, who was the publisher.
                        Last edited by Vault-emort; 06-01-2020, 04:31 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          now posted on the front page, a long bio of Morrow including a shot at recapping his entire race career.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good stuff indeed! The main thing I remember about his "losses" in 1956 was that Sime caught a "flier" in the 100y and beat Morrow at the Drake Relays. Also during those phenomenal 100m by King during the warm-up meets in California in October 1956 Morrow was fighting a flu-bug and was far from his best. A shame that King failed to make the 100 team for the '56 Games but I still doubt he would have taken Morrow in the 100.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

                              Funnily enough, the first time I saw the use of the word 'vale' was in 'Australasian Athletics' - our little T&FN type publication in the seventies.

                              Coincidentally, if my memory is not playing tricks, the article was written by one of Bobby-Joe's rivals in 1956 - Mike Agostini, who was the publisher.
                              Ah, so it's a Trinidad and Tobago import... or Villanova

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X