No announcement yet.

RIP: Bobby Morrow, 84

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about the Villanova reference. Agostini went to Fresno State.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
      Not sure about the Villanova reference. Agostini went to Fresno State.
      I think he went to Villanova before that. He bounced around a bit, including changing citizenship from Trinidad to Australia. Met him once. Interesting character.

Comment

Wiki sez he did go to Villanova.

Comment

Yes, agostini went to villanova but did not graduate, he was on cover of si once and jumbo had no kind words about his recruit who only stayed one year, i believe. Not sure of why he departed.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen View Post
            Good stuff indeed! The main thing I remember about his "losses" in 1956 was that Sime caught a "flier" in the 100y and beat Morrow at the Drake Relays. Also during those phenomenal 100m by King during the warm-up meets in California in October 1956 Morrow was fighting a flu-bug and was far from his best. A shame that King failed to make the 100 team for the '56 Games but I still doubt he would have taken Morrow in the 100.
            Per, ok, but King did make the 4th relay spot and came through for team USA fantastically on the back stretch. A huge performance on the dirt.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlet...0_metres_relay
            Back to Morrow, in that era, achieving that much success that early in life, he was just a sophomore after all, has its costs. Is it possible to maintain mental focus for the next 4 years after that? All that adulation, it effects the mind and it is no wonder that he fell short in 1960.
            Last edited by user4; 06-03-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Agostini ran internationally for Trinidad, Canada and the West Indies in the days that switching allegiance between British Commonwealth countries was as easy as,

And yes - after all that - he gained Australian citizenship in the early 60s.

He had coached (at least for some time), Mexico medallists Jenny Lamy, Ralph Doubell and Tokyo finalist Peter Vassella.

and now back to Bobby Joe

Originally posted by Per Andersen View Post
              in October 1956 Morrow was fighting a flu-bug and was far from his best.
              Yes I was only reading some pre-Olympic newspaper articles where it said he lost 11 lbs and also had thigh soreness leading into the Games.

Comment

Morrow finished 4th in the 1960 200 meter Olympic Trials. I've always felt that if the US had a system where the first two Olympic slots went to the first two places, and the third was named by committee, then surely Les Carney, the only medalist (Johnson 5th and Norton 6th) would have lost his position.

Comment

N.Y. Times obituary today by Richard Sandomir states erroneously that Morrow missed the 1960 Olympic Trials due to a groin injury.

Comment

Like lots of boomers, Bobby Morrow was my first track hero. My older cousins (girls) attended ACC in 1950's and he was their campus heart throb.
                    The college was affiliated with the church I grew up in and Morrow was a big deal among the congregants.
                    The only other celebs in our church were Pat Boone and Tex Ritter and Bobby Riggs (Bobby's dad was a preacher who presided at my folks marriage but Bobby was was most definitely "fallen from grace" by the 1950's!)
                    Bobby was later replaced in our denomination's celebrity hierarchy by a kid from Kansas named Ryun.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post

Per, ok, but King did make the 4th relay spot and came through for team USA fantastically on the back stretch. A huge performance on the dirt.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlet...0_metres_relay
                      Back to Morrow, in that era, achieving that much success that early in life, he was just a sophomore after all, has its costs. Is it possible to maintain mental focus for the next 4 years after that? All that adulation, it effects the mind and it is no wonder that he fell short in 1960.
                      Morrow had a long career for that era. It was not that he lost mental focus in 1960. The thing is that he got injured at some point during the 1959 season and in 1960 he was beset by injuries.
                      Sure, King could be phenomenal and I saw him run in Norway in 1957. He toyed with on of the top Euro sprinters. King was behind but then he turned on the jet and just blew by them.
                      But Morrow for me was special. I still had athletic heroes in those days and he was pretty much at the very top for me.

Comment

from "The Fastest Men on Earth" by Neil Duncanson: Morrow suffered a servere muscle pull during the final of the 100 meters and crashed to the track at the Houston Meet of Champions on the 6th of June, 1959.... Morrow was on the verge of getting his pilot's licence and flew from Abilene to the meet in Houston, a flight that nearly costed him and among others, his wife, their lives....

from Track Newsletter 1960: "Morrow has been having leg trouble all spring. He ran at the Penn without any practice for nearly two weeks, then was training well until he suffered another pull on the 13th of May....

from an article in World Sports in december 1960, "The Greatest? Give me Morrow" says Mike Agostini (who raced against all these sprinters in his career: with Morrow beating Leamon King coming 2nd, Armin Hary 3nd and David Sime 4th.)

a couple of the races:

19560615 - NCAA - 100m Morrow, Sime, Agostini, King
                        https://youtube.com/watch?v=dtCbT7pV9aQ

19570511 - Fresno - 100y Bobby Morrow 9.4, King, Agostini
                        https://youtube.com/watch?v=7Xx299EIYbE

19580919 - Leverkusen - 100m Hary 10.3 vs Agostini, Germar
                        http://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/586347

Bobby Morrow finally met Armin Hary the 1st of July, 1986
                        see at 10:35 on
                        https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/589924?q
                        Last edited by paw; 06-20-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Rest in peace

Comment

Other than Leamon King, Bobby Morrow was the smoothest sprinter I ever saw. I saw him run several times when I was in high school in Los Angeles. I remember getting his autograph at the Compton Relays. He was an exciting sprinter and his ease of movement made him look like a God to us kids back then. I really don't think he got quite the accolades he deserved.

Comment

Working...
                            X