• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Olympian Ron Larrieu, 83

no details other than a post on her Facebook page by sister Francie

Hard to believe he was only 83...

Comment

If anyone finds DOD and/or POD please let me know - the only thing I have is what Garry sent me which is what he posted above

Comment

Ron lapped me in a 10,000 on the track. I was lucky he didn't do it twice. I use to run against his sister (Francie) when there wasn't much for women on the track. I remember running at San Jose City College (where they use to host the Bruce Jenner Classic) at all-comer meets. Ron was our third man in the Tokyo (1964) Olympic 10,000 when he finished in 24th place. A great running family.

Comment

Ran 13:43 for 5000m in early June '64 in a notable race on the Compton track. Bob Schul won in 13:38 to lower the standing American record of 13:45. Bill Baillie ran a lifetime best 13:40 for second. Larrieu finished third just ahead of Gerry Lindgren's 13:44 that stood as the HSR for the next 40 years. The WR at the time was 13:35.

Comment

I had forgotten that he had run such a fast 5K! Igloi must have been elated that night with his runners having done so well!

Comment

19650801 - Kiev - USSR vs USA - 110mHH, PV, LJwomen- 5000m Pjotr Bolotnikow 13:54,2 - Bob Schul 13:54,4 - Ron Larrieu 13:54,8
              the final 200 meters -
              https://filmhiradokonline.hu/watch.php?id=18304
              Last edited by paw; 06-08-2020, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Something over 50 years ago I was running an interval workout in the dark on the Claremont track. Another runner was doing his thing, much faster than me. When we were done, I introduced myself, and asked him if he ran for one of the local programs. He said he was Ron Larrieu. I replied with something particularly insightful, like I know you, you're a really good runner. He was taken aback for a couple of seconds and replied Really? Most of the time when I introduce myself people say Oh, you must be Francie's brother. We had a nice chat, but if I had bumped into him the next day, I wouldn't have recognized him, it was that dark.
                Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

He went to Cal Poly Pomona which is not that far from Claremont. I think he graduated around 1958 which was 62 years ago.

Comment

Graduated from HS in 1956.

Comment

This would have been 1964 when I was in college there.
                      Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                        If anyone finds DOD and/or POD please let me know - the only thing I have is what Garry sent me which is what he posted above
                        I still have not seen a published obit. The blog of George Brose reports the DOD as June 1; a second hand report from John Bork [1961 NCAA 880y Champ].

https://onceuponatimeinthevest.blogs...rrieu-rip.html

Comment

Working...
                        X