Big Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Event

Our "Big Event" for June is a world record which was set 35 years ago today in Europe. The person who set this world record (not in the hurdles) won the Olympic gold medal in this event some three years later in Asia. Only one American has ever held this particular world record and that was in 1932.

Can you name the event, the athlete who set this mark, and the site of this "Big Event"? Extra credit if you can give the actual mark.

?Mohamed Gammoudi in the 5,000 - basing that on I think only Ralph Hill ever held a WR among USA-nians in the 5K, back around 1932

Comment

That's wrong -for some reason I was thinking of 1965, rather than 1985 and 1988.

Comment

You're right, bambam1729, that's wrong.

Comment

If it is men's event, it might be hammer throw. Litvinov?

Comment

Hal Connolly was a WR holder in the hammer way after 1932.

Comment

But Litvinov did set a WR on June 4, 1983. Either Double R Bar messed this one up, or he has someone else/another event in mind.

Comment

OK, I just couldn't think of any other event that might fit the clues.

Comment

Make that June 4, 1982. So Double R Bar did NOT mess up. Quiz still on.

Comment

I can tell you that the event is not the hammer throw, however you are on the right field. It is a throwing event.

Comment

I assume, then, that it's a women's field event.

Comment

The Russian female shot putter, what was her name? Something like Lisovskaya..

Comment

Yes, tandfman, it is a woman, but not the shot put, noone.

Comment

I'll go with women's javelin, Tiina Lillak, Helsinki. Even if it's wrong it's fun to do a mental replay of her final throw in the 1983 WC. Just after release she did a little fist pump, both hands downward, and I knew she had won, long before it landed. A great crowd reaction; one of my favorite T&F moments.
                            Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Lillak never won Olympic gold and did not throw world record in 1985.

Comment

Working...
                              X