Need Janell Smith Info - VIDEO, Results, Pics, Articles, ANYTHING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Janell Smith Info - VIDEO, Results, Pics, Articles, ANYTHING

It's a very long story why, but I'm in urgent need of ANYTHING and everything anyone can share regarding Janell Smith.

If you just went "Who?", that's precisely the point.

The state of Kansas actually had two high school juniors on the 1964 Olympic team - Jim Ryun and Janell Smith. She was on the cover of SI May 10, 1965. You can get the basic info here: https://ks.milesplit.com/articles/280918?page=2

She made the 1964 U.S. Olympic team at 400 after setting the indoor WR that winter in Berlin. Also made the 1963 Pan Am team in the 80m hurdles.

I believe I've exhausted online searches and I'm seriously hoping this brain trust/archive has some stuff not online. Garry, if you guys have anything you could scan and send me, I'd be eternally grateful.

PM me for any details and thanks in advance.

How much stuff do you want? I should first ask... have you used newspapers.com and done an advanced search?

Comment

I need EVERYTHING. No, I haven't done newspapers.com. but I will!

Comment

I found a TON of stuff on newspapers.com. Let me know if you need anything in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Zat0pek View Post
          I need EVERYTHING. No, I haven't done newspapers.com. but I will!
          You were in urgent need of this stuff, and then 13 days later you say you haven't looked at newspapers.com yet ???

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

You were in urgent need of this stuff, and then 13 days later you say you haven't looked at newspapers.com yet ???
            I was needing it in preparation for an interview with Janell, which turned into an interview with her husband and brother due to some health issues. I got a ton of stuff from them but now am in need of any additional info from AAU national team tours in 1964 and 1965. Much of what I'm needing likely won't be found on newspapers.com. I now have copious newspaper clippings as well as much of her personal correspondence home but they raise more questions than answers. For example:

1. There are references to her being sponsored "in part by the U.S. State Department." How/why was that done?

2. How were those AAU team selected?

3. How can I get full results of the overseas meets she competed in that where held in Germany, Poland, Moscow, Kiev, London, etc.?

4. Is there any video coverage of those same meets?

Comment

From Hal Bateman's magnum opus:

JANELL SMITH

None
              Fredonia C. of C.
              03May47 5‑6.5/120
              220y 24.4 '65
              400 53.7 '65
              63PAG 80mH (DNC, illness)
              64OG 400 (6sf2/54.5)
              65FRGi 4x1-Lap (#2) (2/1:35.6)
              4x1-Lap (#1) (1/1:31.1)
              400 (1/54.0)
              65FRG 400 (1/54.0)
              AAU 400 64‑65
              FOT 400 64
              NOTES: Competed in 63 PAG &
              64OG while still attending Fredonia
              (Kansas) HS...former American
              record holder, 400, 1964.

I found results from the 1965 meet in Germany on newspapers.com, but can't post them here as the file is too large. I also found results for USA-Poland and USA-USSR.
              Last edited by gm; 06-21-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X