D-Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day

Happy 76th birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who competed in only one Olympic Games and in only one event.

This champion set a world record at those Olympic Games and it was not in the hurdles.

Time to name this Olympic champion with a birthday on this first Saturday of June.

One of 2. Bob Beamon?
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Not an Olympic champion, but my mother turned 18 on D-day. Her uncle was at Omaha Beach. I was there for the 70th anniversary. Amazing to see the bluffs he ascended.

Comment

Bob Beamon is about two years younger than our birthday athlete, however you do have the right Olympic city (Mexico City).

Comment

Tommie Smith

Comment

Happy 76th birthday today to Tommie Smith. Nice job, Master403. Some say Tommie Smith ranks in the top three of the all-time 200/400 greats. His world record in the Mexico City 200 (19.8), of course, came at altitude (over 7,000'), but you can't really deny his ability.

Comment

How could one know with so few clues?

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                How could one know with so few clues?
                1968 was most likely due to the number of records there and age 24.

I thought the absence of clues was a clue. Any more information would have been a giveaway. So I went with the highest profile WR setters I could think of.

Comment

Yeah, I guess Beamon and Smith were the most likely asnwers, but couldn't know which (without remembering birth years).

Comment

Having a silly birthday quiz with the title D Day on June 6th seems rather inappropriate...

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                      Yeah, I guess Beamon and Smith were the most likely asnwers, but couldn't know which (without remembering birth years).
                      That's why I guessed both. If they were both wrong, I would have offered up Ralph Doubell. If it was someone on a relay team who did not compete in an individual event, I was toast. It couldn't be Saneyev, with his illustrious career. Now that I look at the results for other possibilities, I see Viorica Viscopoleanu in the TJ. Never heard of her. I'm sure that if she were the answer, there would have been more clues and you or Lopen or one of the others would have gotten her and I would have been scratching my head as usual.

Comment

tsk tsk master403 only 1 guess allowed lol

Comment

Originally posted by Master403
                          I see Viorica Viscopoleanu in the TJ.
                          I remember her as a LJer.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                            tsk tsk master403 only 1 guess allowed lol
                            Sorry. I read every one of these, learn something every time, and rarely know the answer. I know the no research rule, but somehow it escaped me that only one guess total is allowed. That will be easy to remember now, it's just like Jeopardy!. In future, if I narrow it to two, I'll hope someone else misses and guess the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post

I remember her as a LJer.
                              I must be having a bad day, can't even read results properly. LJ it is. I told you I never heard of her.

Comment

Working...
                              X