D-Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Master403 View Post

I must be having a bad day, can't even read results properly. LJ it is. I told you I never heard of her.
    If you had read a bit further, you would have seen that there was no women's TJ in the '68 Olympics. The first Olympic women's TJ was in 1996. One more thing to remember, Master403. 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
      tsk tsk master403 only 1 guess allowed lol
      You are allowed as many guesses as you need, however you can make only one guess per post (without research). For example, let's say you make a first guess and it is wrong. You can try again with another post (as long as you don't do research).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post

You are allowed as many guesses as you need, however you can make only one guess per post (without research). For example, let's say you make a first guess and it is wrong. You can try again with another post (as long as you don't do research).
        So it's not like Jeopardy!. It's always funny when someone rings in, misses, then after a pause or opponent's miss, tries to ring in again. Alex gets a chuckle.
        Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post

I must be having a bad day, can't even read results properly. LJ it is. I told you I never heard of her.
          She, Balas and Manoliu were the big shots of Romania during my student years. Tiriac in tennis, that is probably all I recall from those days.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I attended the '68 Games, but couldn't have told you now who won the women's LJ. I did remember all of the others that have been mentioned on this thread. I think if I had had to guess, I might have guessed Doubell.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post

imho you are being too lenient DoubleRBar. But it is your gig, so you get to set the rules. So I apologize to Master 403 !

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post

She, Balas and Manoliu were the big shots of Romania during my student years. Tiriac in tennis, that is probably all I recall from those days.
                Also, Mihaela Penes, who won the 1964 javelin throw gold medal, although that was a major upset - Elvira Ozolina was favored, with Yelena Gorchakova setting a world record in qualifying, but Penes did come back in 1968 to win the silver medal

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Also, Mihaela Penes, who won the 1964 javelin throw gold medal, although that was a major upset - Elvira Ozolina was favored, with Yelena Gorchakova setting a world record in qualifying, but Penes did come back in 1968 to win the silver medal
                  Of these 3 I only remember Ozolina.

by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Surprised that you name Tiriac without the more "notorious" Nastase!

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post

As I recall, Nastase was quite a bit younger than the group I mentioned.
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

A few facts on Tiriac that may surprise you. He competed in the Olympics. He played ice hockey for Romania at the 1964 Winter Olympics.

And 2) he is now considered the richest former athlete. He made fortunes in Romania by investing in banks with his winnings and when Communism left, his investments skyrocketed. I think he is worth several billion $. I think only Michael Jordan is considered a billionaire among former athletes - Tiger Woods and Arnold Palmer were both probably close, and Tiger would likely have made it without the divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I met her at an Olympic Symposium in Volos, Greece back in 2003 - in the run-up to Athens 2004. Big woman. She liked me because I remembered her athletic feats.

Comment

As I recall, Nastase was quite a bit younger than the group I mentioned.
                            I'm positive that Tiriac's and Nastase's careers overlapped. Now I'm going to have to check the old USLTA programs for Forest Hills that I may still have sitting in my garage. (I know I threw some out, kept some others).

Comment

I'm positive that Tiriac's and Nastase's careers overlapped. Now I'm going to have to check the old USLTA programs for Forest Hills that I may still have sitting in my garage. (I know I threw some out, kept some others).
                              Yes, they overlapped. Tiriac was older but they played together in Davis Cup and doubles matches

Comment

They won the French Open together in 1970. They were also finalists several years earlier when it was an "Amateur" event. I took the easy way out and Wikied Tiriac rather than dig out old programs from Forest Hills. According to Wiki, Nastase was 6 - 0 over Tiriac in their singles matches against each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X