Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    looks very much like Barry Brown, and the finish order would seem to back that up: 1. Buerkle; 2. Pre; 3. Howell Michael; 4. Barry Brown; 5. Chris Stewart; 6. Eamonn Coghlan; 7. Doug Brown.
    Thank you for the information. A good field!

Comment

Originally posted by Black September View Post

Only Centrowitz from '80.
      To follow that chain of thought only Virgin from 1984 10,000 team.

However everyone from 1972 and 1976 and 1980 10,000 and marathon teams are still around.

Comment

Beatng Prefontaine in '74 at a distance longer than a mile was impressive. I don't believe any American was able to do that outdoor from '71-'75.

Winning the '76 OT 5000m was also impressive.

Setting the indoor mile WR at age 30 in '78, two years after it looked as though he had given up the sport, and beating the international fields he faced that indoor season, was flat out crazy.

My college coach was two years ahead of DB at Villanova, so he saw the transformation from walk-on to star and talked about him all the time. DB's indoor mile exploits took place while I was in college and I remember the SI cover very well:

https://sicovers.com/featured/dick-b...ted-cover.html

Comment

That win over Pre was definitely a big deal at the time.

Comment

Very nice obit in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. (He spent most of his post-track career living in Atlanta.) https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/a...xHcZvGESBeJxH/

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post

Is that Barry Brown trailing in the photo? If so, at least three persons from that race gone too soon.
              However, unlike Pre and Buerkle, Brown was ultimately a tragic figure.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners...running-story/
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-23-2020, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

However, unlike Pre and Buerkle, Brown was ultimately a tragic figure.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners...running-story/
                You don't consider Pre a tragic figure?

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

You don't consider Pre a tragic figure?
                  No....Pre died in a traffic accident at a young age....a tragedy of course but not a tragic figure by any means.

If you know or read the Brown story it's pretty much a sad downward spiral until his suicide at 47..that is the definition of a tragic figure no matter what the age.
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-24-2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

How did he pronounce his last name? Like Burk-Lee or with a silent E at the end?

Comment

The former.

Comment

I still think it looks like Shorter....but since he wasn't in the race that settles that.
                        When I first looked at the picture my assumption was that it was Shorter because of the vest and the likelihood he'd be in a race such as that at the time. When I looked closer it looked more like Brown from his form.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

When I first looked at the picture my assumption was that it was Shorter because of the vest and the likelihood he'd be in a race such as that at the time. When I looked closer it looked more like Brown from his form.
                          I agree...also a Pre-Shorter race would have been a big deal at the time....all I remember is Buerkle beating Pre...

Comment

I'm curious about how Steve Prefontaine ended up running in College Park for two consecutive years. Aside from his collegiate days, he seemed to rarely venture from the West Coast when racing in the U.S.

Comment

I agree...also a Pre-Shorter race would have been a big deal at the time....all I remember is Buerkle beating Pre...
                              I've been meaning to ask this since the mention of the Pre-Buerkle race. I recall Buerkle beating Pre as coming out of pretty much nowhere. Buerkle was known to me from his career at Villanova and initial forays into post collegiate competition but he wasn't a guy you'd think would be capable of beating Pre unless Pre had a pretty poor day. I think I may have found out about the race from T&FN in those pre-internet days as well. My recollection is staring at the cover in a "what?" fashion.

Does anyone else recall it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I've been meaning to ask this since the mention of the Pre-Buerkle race. I recall Buerkle beating Pre as coming out of pretty much nowhere. Buerkle was known to me from his career at Villanova and initial forays into post collegiate competition but he wasn't a guy you'd think would be capable of beating Pre unless Pre had a pretty poor day. I think I may have found out about the race from T&FN in those pre-internet days as well. My recollection is staring at the cover in a "what?" fashion.

Does anyone else recall it this way?
                                That was my recollection...Pre was kind of thought as unbeatable over a mile with Americans. I barely knew who Buerkle was. What! was my reaction too. And that cover sums it up. The Goliath killer...

Comment

Working...
                                X