No announcement yet.

RIP: Dick Buerkle, 72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a chance to meet and talk to Dick when he came to do a clinic for NJ-TAC in the early 1980s. I always recall the stories of he and his training partner in the Upstate NY winter shoveling off one lane of snow on the local track so they could do an interval workout.

May he Rest In Peace.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Comment

It was on this day, July 6, 1974, that I saw Buerkle run. It was in the US - USSR dual meet in Durham, NC, the first big meet I ever saw. He won the 5000 by nearly 15 seconds, running 13:26.11 (still the fastest 5000 ever run in NC) with the crowd roaring its approval.

If I remember correctly, in the TFN article about the meet, Buerkle was asked what he thought about during a race, and he replied, "Sex. And this race was one long orgasm."

(Probably my favorite memory of that meet are of Rick Wohlhuter winning the 800 in 1:44.03, when Yevgeniy Arzhanov was a no show. Wohlhuter ran (I think) negative splits of c. 52.5 / 51.5. Another memorable moment was the streaker who leaped out of the stands, raced down the field, then did a two-footed front dive over the fence at the open end of thes stadium (while a female Soviet discus thrower looked around in amazement).

Comment

Working...
        X