RIP Witold Baran, 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Witold Baran, 80

Former European Mile record holder and Euro 1500m silver medallist.

Polish Wikipedia so translation is clunky:

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold_Baran

Various sources list DOD as 22 or 23 June, but our Polish contacts tell us 22 June is correct DOD

Comment

I met Witold only once in an indoor mile and he took me by surprise after a comfortable 62 second opening quarter by a "pacer". He took off an ran a 59.5 second quarter and put in a 60.3 third quarter opening a 20 yard lead on me. He then hit the wall and ran a shade under 64.0 for his last quarter. I saw him coming back to me but I was too far back and he beat me 4:05.7 to 4:07.3. He was quiet at start just a simple nod when we shook hands and not much more when we finished and I congratulated him. I don't think he ran the indoor board circuit too much and didn't realize there were 11 of those loops and the 440 marks were spread out at different places on the oval adding to mental confusion.
      He ran 6th in 1964 Olympic Final in 3:40.3 and was about even with Snell in a fast semi-heat. He was a 3:56.0 miler in 1964 and now becomes another 80+ sub four minute miler to have passed away.
      Not sure about his career after running or if he had wife and children. He was a hero in Poland I am sure. R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
        I met Witold only once in an indoor mile and he took me by surprise after a comfortable 62 second opening quarter by a "pacer". He took off an ran a 59.5 second quarter and put in a 60.3 third quarter opening a 20 yard lead on me. He then hit the wall and ran a shade under 64.0 for his last quarter. I saw him coming back to me but I was too far back and he beat me 4:05.7 to 4:07.3. He was quiet at start just a simple nod when we shook hands and not much more when we finished and I congratulated him. I don't think he ran the indoor board circuit too much and didn't realize there were 11 of those loops and the 440 marks were spread out at different places on the oval adding to mental confusion.
        He ran 6th in 1964 Olympic Final in 3:40.3 and was about even with Snell in a fast semi-heat. He was a 3:56.0 miler in 1964 and now becomes another 80+ sub four minute miler to have passed away.
        Not sure about his career after running or if he had wife and children. He was a hero in Poland I am sure. R.I.P
        From his obit - After the end of his career he was a trainer in Zawisza Bydgoszcz. He was also an active activist in Polish sport and sat on the board of the Polish Athletics Association. He was awarded the PZLA Gold Honorary Badge.

Nothing mentioned about wife or children

Comment

Working...
        X