Tokyo Olympiad - the movie directed by Kon Ichikawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Olympiad - the movie directed by Kon Ichikawa

Luckily we have the video 'The Tokyo Olympics' by George & Lillian Merz on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONkfC1bYKU

for where else to see the finals from 1964 of the men's 200m - 400m - 800m - 1500m - 5000m - 3000 metres steeplechase - 110mHH - 400m hurdles- 4x400m relays - these finals you can see on the video of George & Lilian Merz, which brings all the important finals from that olympiad in only half an hour!

I've hoped to see these finals in the additional material on the new bluray video in 4K digital restoration from Criterion of 23th of June 2020 (among new material are the men's discus final, andthe decathlon, the women's 100m and discus), but no, if you want to see all the above-mentioned finals (you can see a few pictures of Carr and Snell on the movie of Ichikawa) you had to go to Merz on Youtube.
    Last edited by paw; 06-27-2020, 07:41 AM.

Thank you for the link, I enjoyed that. Some of the commentary & focus is a tad dated but the T&F footage, while limited, is excellent.

Comment

Yes, thanks for posting that link, although the commentary is pretty clunky.
      I've admired the original film by Kon Ichikawa, but it was clearly meant for a general audience rather than fans of T&F. Some of the original film's ommisions included the late Peter Snell's victory at 1500m, and Bob Schul's at 5000m, both of which provided plenty of drama for those general audiences.

Comment

Nice video. The steeplechase portion shown appears to be of a preliminary and not the final.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
          Nice video. The steeplechase portion shown appears to be of a preliminary and not the final.
          here you have some footage from the finals of the steeplechase in 1964:

https://youtu.be/R5e3N7D7TUU

Comment

Working...
          X