Bambino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bambino

Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who died approximately 67 miles (107 km) from the place where this athlete was born.

Our birthday person competed in only one Olympic Games, but won three Olympic medals at those Games.

Born 109 years ago today, this champion died almost 64 years ago.

Some say track and field was not this person's best sport.

This athlete won Olympic gold in the same country in which this person was born.

Who is this Olympic champion?

Babe Didrichsen?

Comment

Babe Didrikson it is and nice going, Olli. Babe Didrikson was born 109 years ago and won gold at the 1932 Los Angeles Olympic Games in the 80 hurdles and the javelin throw. She took the silver medal in the high jump. Hard to imagine someone repeating those three events at the Olympics. You might already know that she was a pretty good golfer, too. I imagine bambam1729 could tell us more about her golf game. I always wonder what she could have done in Berlin (1936) had she stuck with track and field. Babe Didrikson died at the age of 45.

Comment

My version of the last name was not quite correct. There is a Didrichsen art museum nearby where I am living, that created the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
          My version of the last name was not quite correct. There is a Didrichsen art museum nearby where I am living, that created the confusion.
          Actually the spelling of her last name is somewhat controversial and/or variable. I actually wrote a small article about it a few years ago, but I can't find it right now on my computer. The family name was actually Didriksen, but she changed the spelling when she became famous to Didrikson, although she never legally changed it. So you see both spellings.

Comment

Title hint was too easy

Comment

Next title might be harder.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                Title hint was too easy
                Not for me. How does Bambino relate with Didrikson? I suppose it's not another nickname because of the o at the end.

Actually I probably know less about her than most in this board, but some hints created a somewhat vague recollection...

Comment

baseball great Babe Ruth was nicknamed The Bambino

(secondary nickname I guess, since Babe was one to begin with!)

Comment

Thanks. I believe these things are self-evident to Americans, but at the other side of the Atlantic not much is known about baseball.

Comment

We don't discuss much about baseball on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                        We don't discuss much about baseball on this site.
                        which is always a shock to me, given how many hardcore track fans I've known through the years got their start collecting baseball cards

Comment

I'm a Brit who's not really into baseball but I am aware that The Bambino was a nickname of Babe Ruth. Not that I would have needed that clue myself.

For what it's worth, the average person on the street in the UK is probably more likely to have heard of Babe Ruth than any modern baseball player.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                            Actually I probably know less about her than most in this board, but some hints created a somewhat vague recollection...
                            You're doing great! I can pretty much guarantee you that that 99.44% of Americans today couldn't identify the name or face of Babe Didrikson (or -sen) if their very lives depended on it . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                              I'm a Brit who's not really into baseball but I am aware that The Bambino was a nickname of Babe Ruth. Not that I would have needed that clue myself.

For what it's worth, the average person on the street in the UK is probably more likely to have heard of Babe Ruth than any modern baseball player.
                              I suspect that is true in the US also.

Comment

Working...
                              X