No announcement yet.

Bambino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case you are wondering, the candy bar (Baby Ruth) was not named after the baseball player, but rather President Grover Cleveland's daughter.

Comment

Without looking anything up, three baseball players' names come to mind: Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Joe Shlabotnik.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
        Without looking anything up, three baseball players' names come to mind: Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Joe Shlabotnik.
        Hell, I can name more Finnish javelin throwers and ski jumpers than that! But knowing Joe Schlabotnik is pretty good, even if he is fictional

Comment

And not even too good.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
            I'm a Brit who's not really into baseball but I am aware that The Bambino was a nickname of Babe Ruth. Not that I would have needed that clue myself.

For what it's worth, the average person on the street in the UK is probably more likely to have heard of Babe Ruth than any modern baseball player.
            One baseball player I knew of growing up was Joe DiMaggio from Old man and the sea.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post

One baseball player I knew of growing up was Joe DiMaggio from Old man and the sea.
              His recognition in the UK would be boosted by his marriage to Marilyn Monroe and being mentioned in Simon & Garfunkel's 'Mrs Robinson'.
              Last edited by Trickstat; 06-27-2020, 08:32 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I love a quote attributed to Joe DiMaggio during his marriage to Marilyn Monroe. She went on a USO Tour of Japan and came back and told Joe how the people there loved her, saying, "Joe, you've never heard such cheering." He replied simply, "Yes, I have."

Comment

Gentlemen, we have strayed off topic

Comment

I've always assumed that once the initial question is successfully answered, the "topic" is done and it's then perfectly reasonable for Senior Members (and others) to ramble off on a tangent.

Comment

I can steer the conversation back to the birthday athlete by asking this question: Did Babe Ruth ever meet Babe Didrikson in person? I don't know the answer, however I'm willing to bet that they must have met at least once. Any thoughts?

Comment

I did find this: https://www.golfchannel.com/article/...ght-house-down

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          I've always assumed that once the initial question is successfully answered, the "topic" is done and it's then perfectly reasonable for Senior Members (and others) to ramble off on a tangent.
                          That's what I thought. Sharing trips down the memory lane on a history site with a relatively small group of civilized participants is a lot of fun.
                          Last edited by Pego; 06-27-2020, 09:40 PM.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                          X