Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sally Pearson

Comment

Atkinson being the first is a really surprising stat.

Do Włodarczyk and Semenya still count, or are they gold medalists from 2012 now?
      Last edited by LopenUupunut; 06-30-2020, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Carlos Lopes for bambam's bonus question - silver in the 10K in '76, marathon gold in '84.

Comment

I am pretty sure Consolini won G/S in 48 and 52, but the gold first. Does that count?
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
            Sally Pearson
            Correct

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
              I am pretty sure Consolini won G/S in 48 and 52, but the gold first. Does that count?
              No

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                Carlos Lopes for bambam's bonus question - silver in the 10K in '76, marathon gold in '84.
                They're both gold medalists now. One of the original correct answers is also affected by doping upgrades.

Comment

Great responses. Thanks to bambam for keeping tabs!

Apologies for my ambiguous wording; I tried to imply that the athlete won only two INDIVIDUAL medals, but may have won relay medals also. It seems Christie would be the only one affected.

Including him, I came up with 17 men (so I must be missing one on bambam's list) and 7 women (missing another 2). I used a variety of sources, but mostly Wikipedia (I know) because of it's format. I had also originally meant to specify that the two medals be in the same event. Maybe that is why my total is less that bambam's.

One event has had four athletes accomplish the task, with a strong possibility of a fifth this Tokyo.

One athlete did so representing two different countries (after the USSR broke up)

At least three athletes did so in the longer distance track events.

Comment

Glenn Hardin.

And by implication, Lillian Copeland; I had completely forgotten her silver in '28, but knowing (from bambam's clues) that a woman did it earlier than Hardin eventually jogged my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
                      One event has had four athletes accomplish the task, with a strong possibility of a fifth this Tokyo.
                      All of those were already mentioned, I think? Johnson, Campbell, Šebrle and Clay (and Kevin Mayer is looking at it).

With the Soviets competing in '48, very possible that Bob Mathias would also be on that list.

At least three athletes did so in the longer distance track events.
                      Malinowski in '76 and '80, Baumann in '88 and '92 and... blanking on the other one.
                      Last edited by LopenUupunut; 06-30-2020, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

They're both gold medalists now. One of the original correct answers is also affected by doping upgrades.
                        When did Viren lose his '76 10K gold?

Comment

???????

Comment

I was referring to Bambam's response in post #36

Comment

Jenn Suhr. And Stefka Kostadinova for Bambam's bonus question (silver in 88, gold in 96)
                              Both correct

Comment

He didn't. I'm referring to the fact that one person is on this list only because of a doping disqualification that changed the results.

Also, I counted wrong - its 25 and 31, and I'm only counting people whose only medals were individual medals, so very close to what Fortius had.

Still missing 12 of the 25 and 2 of the bonus 6.

Missing the first female, who was one of the 3 who did this pre-WW2 (you have one - Sidney Atkinson).

Also missing the most recent person to do this, also a female.

Also missing 1 from 1976-80, 2 from 1988-92, 2 from 1992-96, 2 from 2000-04, and 2 from 2004-08.

Comment

Working...
                                X