Piano, Guitar, Violin, Saxophone, Trumpet, and Flute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano, Guitar, Violin, Saxophone, Trumpet, and Flute

Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion born 107 years ago and won Olympic gold at the age of 23.

Our birthday athlete was part of a world record after winning that Olympic gold medal.

No hurdles were involved with this athlete's Olympic medal.

Take these four letters (BOOE), unscramble them, and get a clue to help (maybe) you.

The Olympic stadium where this person won that gold medal is approximately 4,996 miles (8,040 km) from the place where our birthday individual was born.

You might already know that our birthday athlete was born about five months after Richard M. Nixon, however Nixon did not set an Olympic record and our birthday athlete did.

Richard Nixon (80) died about 17 months after our birthday person (79) died.

Can you name our birthday athlete on this final Monday in June?

Go ahead and try.

My guess: an American relay runner, who played the oboe??? (Have no idea of the name.)

Comment

Not a bad guess, Olli, however this is not a relay runner (and didn't play the oboe). I can tell you that our birthday athlete is an American.

Comment

I had it narrowed down to one, but when I then doublechecked my answer, I saw I had 2 guys mixed up, so now I have to pass.

Comment

Glen Morris?

Comment

Except Glen Morris included the hurdlesin his decathlon.

Comment

It's not Glenn Morris, however you are in the right Olympic city in Germany.

Comment

I thought this ? was easy until I mixed up 2 names.

Comment

I looked it up--never would have figured it out from the musical instrument clues.

Comment

If no one else answers this question by tomorrow, I will divulge what I am 99.99 % sure is the answer. As said earlier, I got 2 names mixed up but I still figured it out. Last chance now for the rest of you.

Comment

If he/she played a part in a world record and it wasn't a relay then this suggests he/she and one other tied a WR. If so the most likely event would be the high jump (men or women) or the pole vault (men). However, I have no idea who won those events in Berlin.

Comment

Men's high jump was Corny Johnson, and men's pole vault was Earle Meadows. No idea on women's HJ offhand.

Comment

Thanks Bam for letting me finish this all off.

EARLE MEADOWS won the PV in Berlin, and the next year he and Bill Sefton both set new WR's. But the best was yet to come, as then, a few weeks later, in the same meet, they BOTH cleared 14' 11" for a new WR . But they did not go higher as that was the limit of the standards being used. Kind of tricky, doubleR, saying "part of a world record" but it did not fool me ! So Meadows is the man. lol

Comment

Earle Meadows was born 107 years ago last Monday. Very well done, dukehjsteve. Meadows, as you know, won the Olympic pole vault gold medal in 1936 (Berlin). Earle Meadows retired in Texas and opened a very successful musical instrument business. His musical instrument business was well-known, not just in Texas, but all over the United States. Many people knew of Earle Meadows, not from his Olympic gold medal, but rather from his musical instrument business. He died almost 28 years ago at the age of 79.

Comment

Did BOOE stand for oboe, i.e., just another musical instrument, or was there something else in your mind?

Comment

Working...
                              X