Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four-In-A-Row

Recently, I was watching some older Olympic film and was very impressed with some of the great hurdlers of the past. I'm not sure if this is a record of sorts, but please let me know if you can find something more impressive. The United States swept the 110 hurdles (one-two-three) at the Olympic Games four times in-a-row. They did it in London (1948), Helsinki (1952), Melbourne (1956), and again in Rome (1960). Maybe there is something more impressive from another sport at the Olympics, but I thought these hurdles were pretty impressive.

In other individual sports, in diving the USA used to sweep virtually all medals from the 1920s into the 1960s. I can generate a list but suffice to say they were as dominant then as the Chinese are now.

Comment

From 1972 to 1988, a span of five Olympics, German women won 14 of 15 medals in luge. Only a bronze by a Soviet in 1988 prevented them from improving on the USA hurdlers. And a German placed 4th that year, one tenth of a second behind.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
        From 1972 to 1988, a span of five Olympics, German women won 14 of 15 medals in luge. Only a bronze by a Soviet in 1988 prevented them from improving on the USA hurdlers. And a German placed 4th that year, one tenth of a second behind.
        Something's off there, Soviet Latvians took gold and bronze in 1980.

Comment

The women!

Comment

Working...
          X