Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Determination Might Help

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to two Olympic champions born a total of 161 years ago this day in July.

These two champions competed in a total of three Olympic Games and won a total of five Olympic gold medals.

One of our birthday people was 33 when the other was born.

Born in the same country, these two athletes competed in the same event at the Olympics.

Both birthday athletes were born on a Sunday, however one of them died on a Friday.

The younger champion won an Olympic silver medal.

This younger athlete turns 64 today.

Please name both champions on this second Wednesday of July.

I'll give a quick half-answer as Harrison Dillard for the HD. Let someone else do the MH.

Comment

Millard Hampton?

Comment

Happy 64th birthday today to Millard Hampton. Good guess, tandfman. Harrison Dillard was born 97 years ago today. He died last November at age 96. Nice going, dukehjsteve.

Dillard, of course, won four Olympic gold medals in two Olympics (1948 & 1952). He won the 100 in London and ran the third leg on the winning four by 100 relay team in 1948. In Helsinki (1952), Dillard won the 110 hurdles and ran the second leg on the winning four by 100 relay team.

Millard Hampton took the Olympic silver medal in the 200 in Montreal (1976) and ran the third leg (just like Dillard did in London) on the U.S. four by 100 relay team that won the gold medal.

Dillard was born in Ohio and 33 years later, Hampton was born in California. Harrison's last name has seven letters as does Hampton's first name. If you switched the first letters of Harrison's last name with Hampton's first name, you would have Harrison Millard and Dillard Hampton.

Comment

for added trivia, note that Dillard and Millard don't rhyme in this instance.

Comment

I won't even get into Millard Fillmore and his hurdles.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              for added trivia, note that Dillard and Millard don't rhyme in this instance.
              They don't? Please explain how they're pronounced, I always assumed both rhyme with, uh, pillared?

Comment

DILL-ard, mill-ARD

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                  I won't even get into Millard Fillmore and his hurdles.
                  That would be Millard Fillmore who has a strong likeness to the actor Alec Baldwin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millar...istorical_view

Comment

Alec Baldwin was set to play president Fillmore in "The Millard Fillmore Story", but then came Trump.

Comment

As a further aside re the HH's, I checked, and aside from our 1980 non-show, the only Olympics, from 1896 onward, that USA did not get at least a gold, silver, or bronze was 2016.

Comment

So, our worst showing in the Olympic 110 hurdles since 1896 was a fifth place finish and that was four years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                          DILL-ard, mill-ARD
                          I could be wrong, but my recollection is that Hampton was originally a MILL-ard, but changed it, just as Willie Deckard a couple of years earlier had gone from being DECK-erd to De-CARD

Comment

Working...
                          X