X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All DQ's are reversed on appeal

Comment

Al Coffee (LSU sprinter)
      Gaylord Silly (the Seychelles) multi World XC participant.
      All American name - Boyd Gittens (WSU 400 hurdler)

Comment

I may have this one wrong, but I have some memory of a British sprinter named..

Alistair McCorquodale.
        Last edited by dukehjsteve; 09-19-2020, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

who was the subject of one of the great headlines in T&FN history (and we pre-me, so no credit claimed). Without looking it up, I think it went like this:

Ivory (as in soap), Crockett (as in Davey) Fast (as in As Hell)

inspired writing by Dick Drake

A Southern Illinois University marvel. I remember that headline.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
            I may have this one wrong, but I have some memory of a British sprinter named..

Alistair McCorquodale.
            Yes, he had a fairly brief track career but quite a good one. His son married the older sister of Princess Diana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_McCorquodale

I don't think there are many Olympians who have also played first-class cricket. Not an international player as Rai Benjamin's father was.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Yes, he had a fairly brief track career but quite a good one. His son married the older sister of Princess Diana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_McCorquodale

I don't think there are many Olympians who have also played first-class cricket. Not an international player as Rai Benjamin's father was.
              There must have been some Oxbridge types in the early 20th century who were Olympians and played some first class cricket.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                There must have been some Oxbridge types in the early 20th century who were Olympians and played some first class cricket.
                Gee, why didn't we think of that ... oh, wait a minute ... https://www.olympedia.org/lists/102/manual

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Gee, why didn't we think of that ... oh, wait a minute ... https://www.olympedia.org/lists/102/manual
                  You guys (the OlyMADMen) are awesome!

Comment

Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake never played "First-Class" cricket, but they did play the game when they were younger.

https://www.daijiworld.com/news/news...?newsID=752991

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

You guys (the OlyMADMen) are awesome!
                      Thanx, WRC, appreciate it

Comment

U.S. Masters distance runner: Larry Lung

Comment

I'm going to say Laura Levine, WSU discuss-werfer from the late 80s, but it requires an explanation.

We're at UCLA for the 1988 Pac-10 meet. Introducing the field, including "Laura La-VEEN". A few minutes later, coach comes up to the booth. "It's La-VINE". Okay, we'll go with that.

After her next throw, a young woman comes to the booth. "It's La-VEEN". "Well, the coach spoke to us, and confirmed it's La-VINE". "Well, I should know, I'm her roommate". Okay, good point, we'll go with that.

Next thing we know, a middle aged-woman comes to us. "Her name is "La-VINE". "Well, her roommate confirmed to us it's "La-VEEN". "I'm her MOTHER!"

And that was the end of the debate. Because this was 1988, no one asked Laura herself how she self-identified.

Our regular announcing group definitely had an "all-name team", but most of those entries were for reasons we can't cite on a family-oriented bulletin board.

There were also a few Nigerian names from Azusa Pacific that had a definite mellifluous quality about them, but I either can't remember them or can't spell them.

Comment

I think her name was Lavine, with an A

Comment

It's my recollection that Tracy Millet, NCAA shot put champion from UCLA, pronounced her name differently from the way one of her parents did. Was it MILL-et or mil-LET? I think that may have depended on whom you asked.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                                I think her name was Lavine, with an A
                                I suspect you're right, as someone told us that whether the first vowel was "a" or "e" tended to correlate with how the last one was pronounced. Rich Perelman, I think it was.
                                Last edited by cigar95; 09-22-2020, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X