Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus National Titles

Got asked this on twitter. Apostolos Parellis just won his 14th consecutive national title in the discus in Cyprus. Anybody know of a longer streak in 1) discus, 2) any event????

Tops in the US are 11 by Dorothy Dodson (JT) and 10 by Henry Laskau in the walk, AFAIK.

Comment

I am almost certain that Olli-Pekka Karjalainen won the Finnish championship in hammer 15 consecutive times, 1998–2012.

Comment

A check of his record on tilastopaja confirms that Olli is exactly correct about Karjalainen.

Comment

Terry McHugh (IRE) won 21 consecutive javelin titles from 1984-2004.
          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

I believe Koji Murofushi won 18 straight Japanese hammer titles

Comment

Koji Murofushi (JAP) won 20 consecutive hammer titles from 1995-2014, plus 2004 Olympic Gold and 2011 WC Gold.

Comment

and Koji and his father Shigenobu between them have held the Japanese Record for something like 45 years.

Comment

If we are getting into records Peter O'Connor held the Irish long jump record for 89 years.

Comment

And Silvio Cator still Haitian long jump record-holder for 91+ years (will hit 92 in September) with no end in sight.

Comment

Best in AUS for DT are Werner Reiterer and Dani Samuels, both with 8.

The best overall I found for AUS is 12 by Kerry Saxby in the 5000m track walk and 11 by Andrew Murphy in the Triple Jump.

The only other athlete with 10 or more consecutive wins is Stuart Rendell (HT) with 10.

There are athletes with more gold medals than Parellis but this is split across multiple events (SP/DT, Sprints/Hurdles & 400/800 etc).

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                        And Silvio Cator still Haitian long jump record-holder for 91+ years (will hit 92 in September) with no end in sight.
                        LJ is good for longevity of records: Peter O'Connor's WR of 24-9 in ’01 lasted as the Irish Record for 89 years.

Comment

Just got a tweet that Chris Harmse won 23 consecutive South African hammer throw titles (1996-2018, I think) - this might be the record

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                            Just got a tweet that Chris Harmse won 23 consecutive South African hammer throw titles (1996-2018, I think) - this might be the record
                            World Athletics profile has 1997-2018 for 22 consecutive. Harmse's Wikipedia page has a dramatic description of his 2017 win, claiming it as the 22nd consecutive, and all-time record. The WA report for the 2018 NCs lists it as his 23rd, so the tweet seems correct (allowing for the WA profile missing 1996 and Wikipedia not updated).

https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...8-clarence-mun

So we have (so far)

23 Harmse
                            21 McHugh
                            20 Murofushi

All three in long throws, and all in countries with competitive championships. An interesting list from a good question.

This article notes that Harmse was runner-up going for number 24 in 2019:

https://in.reuters.com/article/athle...-idINKCN1S227N
                            Last edited by Master403; 08-11-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

The link to the Iolanda Balas story on the main page made me check to see if she had been mentioned in this thread.

Given her long unbroken streak of international wins, I would have expected total dominance of national championships but I couldn't find a list of national championships on the Romania federation site or elsewhere.

The only reference I found for national championships noted 16 senior titles but didn't specify if this was consecutive or even if it was all HJ. It seems about right from mid-teens in 1951/52 up to '67 but it only takes one missed year to break a streak. https://www.eurolympic.org/romanian-...d-passes-away/

Anybody got a Romanian national champs list handy?

Comment

Working...
                              X