X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnut '60 revisited

nice look-back piece about a huge records night now posted to home page

(and it's free; not behind the paywall)

I would love to have seen those Trials plus the 1962 U.S. - Soviet dual meet at Stanford.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
      I would love to have seen those Trials plus the 1962 U.S. - Soviet dual meet at Stanford.
      Along those lines (too lazy to start a new thread - had it before?), here's a good question:

What meet do you wish you could have attended (your lifetime - your age then)?

Mine is the 1968 South Like Tahoe Oly Trials.
      There's plenty 'bigger' ones, but that HAD to be one for the ages in terms of ambiance and performance.

Comment

Agree with Atticus. The HJ alone would be worth the price of admission.
        Runners-up would be as a 9 year old at Iffley Road on a rainy day in May 1954, and European Championships 1958, in Göteborg (I think).

Comment

I wish I'd gone to Mexico City. I was blessed enough to attend 2 days @ South Lake Tahoe (saw Vanderstock & Carlos WRs), but school obligations - it was right in the week of midterms for UCSB - prevented me from going to the Olympics. Oh yeah, there was a money problem, too. I was working (boss would probably have let me off to go) 30 hours a week just to get through college. And my parents couldn't afford to loan me the money - I never asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Along those lines (too lazy to start a new thread - had it before?), here's a good question:

There's plenty 'bigger' ones, but that HAD to be one for the ages in terms of ambiance and performance.
            I’m with you. Those guys were my hero’s when I first learned about track and field.

Comment

I was lucky enough to have attended both Walnut and the USA vs USSR meets. Walnut was my first experience of world-class T&F, and after many years, my main memories are these: As I entered the stadium, I saw Rafer Johnson carrying a bundle of javelins. Later, I saw Bobby Morrow in the 100m, and although he lost, I'll never forget his grace. I saw the actual jump that Ralph Boston made that surpassed the great Jesse Owens WR, and later, saw Hal Connolly's WR hammer throw!
              Later, I attended the USA vs USSR meet at Stanford, and took a bus from Reno to Palo Alto with my duffle bag containing my sleeping bag. I think my "plan" was to camp at Angel Field, and probably survive by eating boiled eucalyptus leaves ( I was about 19), but I met some high school coaches who were there for a seminar, and I was invited to sleep on the floor of their dorm room. On the first morning, as I headed out, I met Pyotr Bolonikov, seemed delighted to be recognized by an American fan!
              During the week, I was able to watch the training of many athletes, including Valery Brunel, and was even able to join Bob Seaman in workouts prescribed by Igloi, who had brought his team along prior to their departure for a European tour.
              The security in those days was different, and I was able to sit on the couch with Bob Hayes watching TV, for example! Somehow, I met Igor TER-Ovanesyan and his coach, Vladimir Popov, both of whom spoke English well, and were very nice guys who were amused by my story of having come to Stanford on a more than shoestring budget, and made sure that I was included in athletes' parties. A year later, I had studied Russian in school, and might have at least made an attempt at speaking in their language! Needless to say, I had a wonderful week seeing many of my heroes up close
              !

Comment

Great story, Django. I would have loved to experience that too, however I was only 15 at the time of the U.S. - Soviet dual meet in 1962. I did go to the 1964 meet in the Los Angeles Coliseum. It was a great two-day meet, but I'm not sure it was as good as the meet at Stanford.

Comment

This puppy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfg2_tQdMPk

Comment

I was 15 in 1968 and would have loved to see Tahoe. Mexico City was when school had already started and I was running cross country.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

I was fortunate enough to be at the SLT trials at the age of 8! It was the first time I was able to see my dad in the trials. Seeing both him and Hal Connolly make their 4th Olympiad together was a special memory for me! That was my first trip to Nevada and now, I have been living here since 1979, ironically only about 30 miles away from the site. The track (which was later moved to a high school near South Lake Tahoe - and is still used today) site is still easily visible as are the high jump pits and circles used for the throws. I did go up for the 50th anniversary celebration and it was so nice to see those athletes I saw so many years ago. Also got to travel on to Mexico City for the Olympics. Experiences that stay with me always. Oh, sidenote, one of those prominent memories at SLT was a hammer thrower (might have been Ed Burke) slipped in the circle and his hammer went almost straight up and wrapped around a branch about 50' up in a big Ponderosa tree. Later the local fire dept. brought their ladder truck to get it down! Darn tree is still standing right next to the hammer circle!
                      Retired triple jumper and paying the price! Son of Al Hall

Comment

Working...
                      X