Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trivia question (but I’m not sure I have the right answer)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Dumas

Comment

So what did Mildred McDaniel use? I don't know. And what about Miroslava Rezkova in 1968? If she was a straddler, then she and Ackermann would be the only female straddlers to win gold (in the individual high jump event - to stop the pentathlon/heptathlon thing)

Comment

Found a picture of McDaniel's winning jump in 1956 in the USOC Report - here it is - not sure if this is a straddle or a Western Roll

McDanielHJ.jpg

Comment

For what it is worth, I do recall that in 1984 in Los Angeles, there were still a few straddlers in the decathlon.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
            For what it is worth, I do recall that in 1984 in Los Angeles, there were still a few straddlers in the decathlon.
            I recall that in the men's HJ itself in LA, the no 2 Chinese jumper (behind then WR holder Zhu Jianhua) was a straddler.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
              Found a picture of McDaniel's winning jump in 1956 in the USOC Report - here it is - not sure if this is a straddle or a Western Roll

McDanielHJ.jpg
              It's a straddle. Rezkova was also a straddler as you suggest.
              Dukehjsteve is of course correct about Dumas.
              Thinking back on these things I find it strange that only 4 men won gold with that technique. Best straddle technique: Yaschenko and Brumel. Finest straddle technique I ever saw was Ackermann's.

Comment

I'm "from the Old School". and proud of it. The Straddle was a Thing of Beauty. Thanks Fosbury & Co., you ruined the High Jump. The only thing uglier than The Flop is the Fibreglass Pole.

Comment

Being a mere 52, the flop has largely been the norm during my time watching the sport. Notable exceptions being Ackerman, Bielschmidt and Schenk (oddly I never saw Yashchenko (RIP) compete during his brief career). For me, the one weakness for a spectator of the straddle is that all failures look the same to me at normal speed while a narrow failure with the flop can be clearly seen as such.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                    I'm "from the Old School". and proud of it. The Straddle was a Thing of Beauty. Thanks Fosbury & Co., you ruined the High Jump. The only thing uglier than The Flop is the Fibreglass Pole.
                    Do you feel the same way about cars replacing horse-drawn carriages? 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                      agree 100% on the HJ; disagree 100% on the vault

Comment

I prefer, by far, the flop. Watching the straddle is like watching a 1950's basketball player shoot set shot...or worse....dunk.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                          I prefer, by far, the flop. Watching the straddle is like watching a 1950's basketball player shoot set shot...or worse....dunk.
                          I liked the old-fashioned below-the-rim basketball as is still played by HSs and women .

Oh, yes, I still remember Iolanda Balas kicking ass by scissoring.

"A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

You should have seen my father shoot two hand set shots !

Comment

The straddle always gave me shudders at its inelegance and crotch-threatening positioning. I did it my junior year in HS, but was not very interested in practicing or competing.
                              When I saw Fosbury do his thing in the 68 OG (beginning of my Sr year), I immediately took to it, teaching myself in my school's indoor pit (big chunks of foam in a net), and LOVED the feeling.
                              I went undefeated outdoors, up to the NE championships. You can see why I'm a fan!

Comment

I think I agree with gh on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X