Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 years ago today

August 14, 1920 was the opening day of the 1920 Olympic Games. While for me this event is associated with track victories by Paddock, Nurmi and Kolehmainen, these Games were significant in many other ways. Held less than two years after WW1 in a country ravaged by war, in the smallest city ever to host the Summer Games, they showed that a "small Games" can be more uplifting than a super-big event (same thing with Helsinki twice, and the outstanding Winter Olympics in Sarjevo and Lillehammer, in my personal opinion. It was also the first time for the Olympic oath.

Something to think about in 2020 is that the 1920 Antwerp Olympics were held two years after the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic that killed millions of people all over the world. In fact, at the time of the 1920 Olympic Games, there were still many people dying from this epidemic. It was amazing that Belgium pulled it off and hosted a very good Olympic Games, especially under those circumstances. As you mentioned, World War I (The Great War) had just ended with most of the fighting in Europe.

Comment

Working...
    X