Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles 'Chilla' Porter (AUS), 1956 OG HJ Silver, dies aged 84

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/pol...16-p55mad.html

Died in his own home 16 August 2020 from cancer which had metastasized to the bones. His son is apparently current Australian attorney-general per the obit in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Comment

The linked article has an odd pairing of photos.
      The close up at the top shows Chilla in an obvious, very efficient looking straddle clearance.
      The pic at the end of the piece shows him with sweats on completing what is most likely a western roll jump (based on his position in the air).
      If it is not a western roll then it is a very convoluted attempt to brace for a landing in the sawdust pit.
      "56 was early in the era of the previous HJ style revolution from western to straddle so I'd guess Mr. Porter might have warmed up or made early completion jumps western rolling and then switched to straddle when things got serious.
      I believe that Les Steers was known to do that. Akin to floppers who warm up using a scissors mode.
      An all day competition... Yikes!

Comment

I think both pics are straddle. In the second pic he is over the bar and putting his arm/hand down to break his fall into the sand. That is what you did.

Comment

Upon further review, I agree with Lonewolf. Video shows the Poerter reaching down with both arms at clearance while Dumas had a more pronounced rotation of his hips on clearance that gives him a much different look heading down to the sawdust (or maybe it was sand).

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
            Upon further review, I agree with Lonewolf. Video shows the Poerter reaching down with both arms at clearance while Dumas had a more pronounced rotation of his hips on clearance that gives him a much different look heading down to the sawdust (or maybe it was sand).
            It has to be the straddle. You are right it can look a bit confusing by the position of his left arm. Most straddlers rolled outward with the right arm leading. Sure, Steers and also my childhood hero, Ernie Shelton, warmed up by Rolling on lower heights. It was less tempting to lean during take-off with that technique. Then they hoped that take-off position would carry on when they switched to the straddle.

Comment

Lengthier obit from AA: https://www.athletics.com.au/news/va...chilla-porter/

Comment

Working...
              X