Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter as WR setter

With Johannes Vetter perhaps on the cusp of becoming the WR holder in the javelin, I'm reminded that he would be only the fourth Vetter ever to set a ratified WR. Can you name the other three?

Looked it up - good luck with this

Comment

The only name that pops into my mind is Debbie Vetter, and she had a sister Diane. They both ran for Iowa State and conceivably could have been part of a record-setting relay team. But I've no recollection of that happening, and I don't recall them being quite that good. .

Comment

I remember them well...they were decent runners in the 70s...twins I think... a world relay record sounds very plausible for that era.

Like a 4x1 mile relay WR since I doubt it would have been much under 20:00.
        Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-14-2020, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Here's a clue: Julie Stibbe

Comment

Were there THREE Vetter sisters?

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
              Were there THREE Vetter sisters?
              to be precise, there were 4 Vetter sisters and 2 brothers, but obviously all can't play a part here.

Comment

Debbie, Dianne, Janis, Juanita Vetter sisters and Julie Stibbe all ran for Blue Ribbon Track Club in Ohio. Saw them race many times.

Comment

I believe Debbie, Dianne and Jan Vetter ran on a winning 2-mile relay at the AAU in the 1970s. If the AAU wasn't the WR race, then it may have been at Drake Relays running for Iowa State, although I remember only Debbie and Dianne distinctly as being contemporaneous teammates.
                  Last edited by dj; 09-15-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

From the WR book....

Comment

the only 4 x 880 record ever ratified, becasue shortly thereafter IAAF killed all the yard records (other than mile).

Comment

Excitement always triumphed over nerves when the Vetter twins, Diane (center) and Debbie (left), at a college meet in 1978, faced competition. “It was what we prepared all week for,” Diane says.

https://www.sahuaritasun.com/sports/...9ead6c5ba.html

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
                          I believe Debbie, Dianne and Jan Vetter ran on a winning 2-mile relay at the AAU in the 1970s. If the AAU wasn't the WR race, then it may have been at Drake Relays running for Iowa State, although I remember only Debbie and Dianne distinctly as being contemporaneous teammates.
                          It was the 1975 AAU Meet in White Plains, NY

Comment

I was at that meet, but have no recollection of that record. As I mentioned earlier, I did recall Debbie and Diane Vetter but not their sister(s).

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              the only 4 x 880 record ever ratified, becasue shortly thereafter IAAF killed all the yard records (other than mile).
                              From the WR book.

Comment

Working...
                              X