Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this in "Historical" Section gh must be following the rules of this thread which requires the topic to be about an historical (before1999?) relating to track and field. There are so far, 14 names of towns with only one major city (Chicago) being in the bunch of mostly unheard of smaller cities. I am going to guess they may be related to high schools that some group of famous track and field athletes attended and have in common. So far no recollection of a common link. Lakewood, Ohio only rings a bell for Dave Mills, and Morristown rings my brain for Tom Skutka but they are not in same categories. Need more cities if there are anymore?

Comment

A few more to add to EGH's lists:

Freeport, TX
      Los Alamos, NM
      Harrisburg, PA
      Aurora, CO

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
        A few more to add to EGH's lists:

Freeport, TX
        Los Alamos, NM
        Harrisburg, PA
        Aurora, CO
        Freeport was on the original list 😉
        It's the reason I knew the answer right away.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
          Freeport was on the original list 😉
          It's the reason I knew the answer right away.
          Oops, my bad. I actually checked the lists before I added those but missed Freeport

Comment

I take it the correct answer is "Women's AAU Championship Sites"
            can't believe you left out Bellbrook, OH.!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
              I take it the correct answer is "Women's AAU Championship Sites"
              can't believe you left out Bellbrook, OH.!
              Bellbrook is not on the list we have. Are you thinking of the '63 and '69 hostings, which we have as Dayton?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Bellbrook is not on the list we have. Are you thinking of the '63 and '69 hostings, which we have as Dayton?
                Bellbrook (SE of Kettering/Dayton) was cross country site in mid 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Facility used is listed as Welcome Stadium which is a Dayton facility although not necessarily the University of Dayton which I know uses it for football.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

Bellbrook (SE of Kettering/Dayton) was cross country site in mid 70's.
                    ahh, to be more specific, the trivia question was regards track champs.

Comment

So why did Naugatuck make the list as the 1938 site?

The meet was awarded to Waterbury, but moved to neighboring Naugatuck. Why??
                      Last edited by dj; 09-26-2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
                        So why did Naugatuck make the list as the 1938 site?

The meet was awarded to Waterbury, but moved to neighboring Naugatuck. Why??
                        According to the Hartford Courant, the new stadium in Waterbury was not completed to the degree necessary to host the meet. Naugatuck won out as a replacement over Derby, Torrington, Norwich and West Haven, also bidders for the meet.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

According to the Hartford Courant, the new stadium in Waterbury was not completed to the degree necessary to host the meet. Naugatuck won out as a replacement over Derby, Torrington, Norwich and West Haven, also bidders for the meet.
                          Thanks. I figured it had to be something like this. The only thing I'd found on-line was the hurricane flood of 1938, but that was in September, more than six weeks after the meet.

Waterbury Municipal Stadium was built in 1930 with an odd configuration that served it's primary initial purpose, that of being a track for dog racing. I find no meets held in the Municipal Stadium before 1938, so I'm imagining '38 AAU was to be the inaugural track event following the renovation.

Comment

Working...
                          X