Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Mark Cavendish won a silver in 2016. And a bronze at the 2006 Commonwealth.

I can't think offhand of any track people. Wouldn't surprise me if there was someone.
    This is from my compatriot in the OlyMADMen, Hilary Evans, who is Welsh:

All 3 have won a gold medal in shooting. Isle of Man 2 more in cycling.
    Total medals
    IOM 12 GUE 6 JER 4

Athletics - no medals
    Best performances
    IOM Graham Young - 4th 30k walk 1972
    GUE Dale Garland - 5th Decathlon 2006
    JER Anthony Satchwell - 7th shot and discus 1974

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
      Just noticed that even Gibraltar gets it own spot under the country category. Oi vey! Yet I can't find one athlete or stat for that "country" on the WA site. Admittedly, I did a very quick search.
      Don't be pickin' on Gibraltar. That's where my wife's mom is from. Maybe she holds the rock's w100m record.

Comment

Guernsey may have a contender soon. Alistair Chalmers, 20, won the 400H at the British Championships earlier this month in 49.66.He won by about 10 yards, could have done sub 49 if pressed.

Comment

Wikipedia has a table of medals for all CWG Federation members: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-ti...es_medal_table

There's only a few that haven't won any medals at all. Part of this is because the range of sports includes activities that are popular in different areas of the Commonwealth, allowing pretty much every country to be good at something. Even Norfolk Island has some medals, probably from lawn bowls, if memory serves me.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

Has an athlete from Jersey, Guernsey, or the Isle of Man ever won a Commonwealth/Empire medal in our sport, let alone another sport?
            The current British #2 tennis player, Heather Watson, won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Youth Games in 2008, competing for Guernsey. She probably didn't get to compete in the doubles...

Comment

I've made a table of population figures for the non-medal winners. Most of them are small and/or islands with the two most populous having more important things to worry about other than sporting success.

Member Population
              Anguilla 14,731
              Antigua and Barbuda 96,286
              Belize 408,487
              Brunei 459,500
              Falkland Islands 3,398
              Gibraltar 34,003
              Maldives 379,270
              Montserrat 4,649
              Niue 1,620
              Rwanda 12,374,397
              Saint Helena 5,633
              Sierra Leone 7,092,113
              Turks and Caicos 42,953
              Tuvalu 11,646

And just for NotDutra5, the Gibraltarian NR lists: https://gibraltarathletics.com/nationalrecords/

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                Wikipedia has a table of medals for all CWG Federation members: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-ti...es_medal_table

There's only a few that haven't won any medals at all. Part of this is because the range of sports includes activities that are popular in different areas of the Commonwealth, allowing pretty much every country to be good at something. Even Norfolk Island has some medals, probably from lawn bowls, if memory serves me.
                Yes, but the Commonwealth Games site is pretty good and has medal lists as well - https://thecgf.com/about

Comment

The Brits may refer to England, Scotland, Wales etc. as "countries" for historical reasons, but it's a misleading term. They function under the UK government and are not independent states. It's a simlar situation to Germany, where the subdivisions are called "Land", which also literally means "country". Again, that makes historical sense, because they used to be independent entities, but you would never refer to, say, today's Bavaria as a country in English.
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                    The Brits may refer to England, Scotland, Wales etc. as "countries" for historical reasons, but it's a misleading term. They function under the UK government and are not independent states. .
                    They're not independent, but they do have governments that have certain degree of autonomy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countr...United_Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                      Guernsey may have a contender soon. Alistair Chalmers, 20, won the 400H at the British Championships earlier this month in 49.66.He won by about 10 yards, could have done sub 49 if pressed.
                      His older brother, Callum (400 PB 45.64), ran the first leg in the British 4x400 team at the WCs in Doha last year. I do think Alistair is a better prospect for individual medals in the future. However, they must have Scottish parentage and, I am pretty sure that Callum ran for Scotland at the 2018 Commonwealths and I assume that Alistair will follow suit. That 49.66 is not yet a Guernsey 400H record as his former coach, Dale Garland, ran 49.54.
                      Last edited by Trickstat; 09-30-2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        They're not independent, but they do have governments that have certain degree of autonomy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countr...United_Kingdom
                        I'd also defy anyone to stand up in a crowded pub or bar in Edinburgh or Cardiff and say that Scotland or Wales isn't a country!

Comment

This has been particularly relevant during the Coronavirus outbreak where rules and guidelines brought in by the UK government have only actually applied to England.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

I'd also defy anyone to stand up in a crowded pub or bar in Edinburgh or Cardiff and say that Scotland or Wales isn't a country!
                            Exactly....in 1987 first time in Edinburgh I order a pint of bitter. The bartender quickly replied...."You're not in England anymore!"

The England vs Scotland or Wales football or RU matches are the equivalent of the US vs USSR in the old days.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

This has been particularly relevant during the Coronavirus outbreak where rules and guidelines brought in by the UK government have only actually applied to England.
                              In the FT today....

The prime minister will today host a presentation with Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, and Patrick Vallance, chief scientific adviser, who are urging tougher measures to contain the virus.

Comment

Sure they do, just like the US states or German Lands.
                                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                                X