Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Living Olympians

We have found out that Etsuko Komiya (1936 Berlin sprinter) had died on 7 October 2014 at 95 years of age.

The oldest living T&F Olympian reverts to Marko Račič, Yugoslav 400 metre runner at 1948 London Olympics. He turned 100 in April 2020.

Hi! The oldest living olympian is Iris Cummings that represented USA at 1936 Olympics in Berlin as a swimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by ManveerHuber View Post
      Hi! The oldest living olympian is Iris Cummings that represented USA at 1936 Olympics in Berlin as a swimmer.
      No - she is the 9th oldest living Olympian and the 2nd oldest USA Olympian. Oldest living Olympian now is Felix Sienra - Uruguayan sailor from the 1948 Olympics who was born in 1916. Oldest living USA Olympian is Paul Makler - USA fencer at the 1952 Olympics, who I can confirm was alive 2 days ago (19 November) based on an article written about him at 100+ years old (ne 22 Oct 1920). See https://acsweb.ucsd.edu/~ptchir/ for details of oldest living Olympians. Paul Tchir is one of the OlyMADMen, the group I work with on Olympedia.

Comment

And as noted above Marko Račič is oldest living athletics Olympian. Oldest living USA athletics Olympian is Herb Douglas from the 1948 London Olympics.

Comment

I suppose then the proper claim about Cummings is that she is the oldest of the only three living participants in the 1936 Berlin Games.

Comment

I found a "mistake" (I believe) in the list of oldest Olympians which makes the oldest gold, silver, bronze medalist who are still alive and all mounted the victory podium many years ago together in the same Olympics and same event. Two are listed on the Oldest Olympians and finished 1st and 3rd but the silver medalist is not listed and unless he died in the last 48 hours he is still listed as being alive in all of his bio websites.
            This is a record that future G-S-B medalists who stand on the victory stand together can say to each other, I hope we are all still alive and can pose again in 85 years from today.
            The three G-S-B Olympians have a total of 261 years between them. It would be amazing to have a photo of the three oldest medalist on the victory stand in the same Olympic Stadium still able to climb those steps together.

Anyone help me out on the silver medalist being still alive?
            I forgot to mention it is Athletics and not Equestrian or Judo Wrestling, etc (I had no interest in these other events)
            Last edited by midwestfan; 11-23-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

What's the event and who are the Olympians, midwestfan? Remember that Paul T does not list anybody on his list of Oldest Olympians who is not known to be alive at 90+ years.

Comment

No one still alive from 1928 and 1932?

Comment

Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post
                  No one still alive from 1928 and 1932?
                  An 18 year old Olympian from 1932 would be 106 right now.

Comment

This was one of the most unexpected upsets in OG with gold medalist just 20 years of age, silver medalist 22 years of age, and bronze medalist 26 years of age. I would hope T&F News would contact the three and coordinate the expenses to bring them back to their OG race site and shoot photo of them on podium. It would be a classic photo worth $$$$ for many of us old folks.
                    Of the other finalists in the race their are three other OG athletes still alive at 86 years, 87 year, and 87 years of age (having all 6 living finalists, now 85-90 years of age still alive is amazing).
                    Just waiting for some wild guesses from the experts. Took me about 30 min when I was scanning list and found the answer but had to look up 2nd place to realize all three stood together for their award ceremony many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
                      I found a "mistake" (I believe) in the list of oldest Olympians.
                      The three G-S-B Olympians have a total of 261 years between them. It would be amazing to have a photo of the three oldest medalist on the victory stand in the same Olympic Stadium still able to climb those steps together.
                      If their total age is 261, at least one of them hasn't reached age 90 and wouldn't be on this list. Where is the mistake?

The Olympics must be the 1956 Olympics, based on those ages. Which would make them about 84, 86, and 90 now (total age 260 close enough to 261).
                      Last edited by J Rorick; 11-23-2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

If their total age is 261, at least one of them hasn't reached age 90 and wouldn't be on this list. Where is the mistake?

The Olympics must be the 1956 Olympics, based on those ages. Which would make them about 84, 86, and 90 now (total age 260 close enough to 261).
                        You are correct J Rorick it is 1956 OG in Melbourne. The "oldest Olympian list" ends with last living Olympian being born in November 14, 1934 but the 2nd place silver medalist was born on 11/1/1934 and is not listed in October or November, 1934 living Olympians (therefore, presumed dead)
                        I knew the 1500 meter final in Melbourne had two living Olympians, namely Ron Delany-gold and John Landy-bronze. When I looked up the 2nd place silver medalist, Klaus Richtzenhain from Germany there was no date of death in his bios and therefore is still alive at 86 years and 22 days old.

Brian Hewson was 5th and he is now 87 yrs
                        Ian Boyd was 8th and he is 86 yrs
                        Murry Halberg was 11th and he is 87 yrs

All 6/12 finalists in 1956 Olympic 1500 meters are still alive but amazingly all three podium medalists are still able to shake each other hands one more time at 85+ years of age.

We had a thread some time ago about whether extreme training for the mile shortened one's life span and I believe we proved there are many more 80+ milers alive than 100 meter Olympians or High Jumpers?

Since the 1956 Olympic 1500 meter race occurred on December 1st, 1956 T&F News should try and get the three medalists to climb podium on 64 th Anniversary of their historic race.

Now back to doing something constructive during our "lockdown". It's my 17 year old granddaughter's birthday and we can't celebrate together, so I wished her to try having a better than average day since no one has ever had a good or great day this year.
                        Last edited by midwestfan; 11-23-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Paul Tchir's list on this website ends with youngest birthdate of November 19, 1930, which is why only Landy appears on it.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                            Paul Tchir's list on this website ends with youngest birthdate of November 19, 1930, which is why only Landy appears on it.
                            Yes, his list is for 90+ only

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Yes, his list is for 90+ only
                              Agree, my error when I went back to review birthday on silver medalist and saw November 1-19, 1930 at bottom of list and mixed up Klaus R.’s birthday as 11/1/30 instead of 11/1/34.
                              The uniqueness of the three 1956 OG medalist all still living at 85+ years is rare. 1960 OG participants ( men and women) only has one event where all three medalist are still alive, 5000 meters. Need to watch if they surpass the 1956 trio in next few years?

Comment

Working...
                              X