Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Edwin Moses tried the HH against the best in the world in 1978

I was a spectator to Edwin Moses running against the best high hurdlers in the world in 1978. It happened on a cold rainy day at the Weltklasse meeting in Zürich on the 16th of August 1978.
    The race was at 20.10 o'clock:

Now after so many years I found footage of that race on British Pathé:

00780816 – Weltklasse – Zürich – 110m HH – Renaldo Nehemiah 13.23, Charles Foster 13.58, Edwin Moses 13.65, Alejandro Casanas dnf.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA289L29VQXU3BY5GXCISBS0NB6-SWITZERLAND-OLYMPIC-CHAMPION-ALBERTO-JUANTORENA-OF-CUBA-FAILS-IN/query/hurdles

40 minutes after Moses again ran a race, the 400 metres hurdles, where he ran the best race of the year in 47.94, the rain was still pouring down.
    Two days later in the sun on the 18th of August 1978, Moses again tried the HH in Brussels against Alejandro Casanas, who won in 13.57, Moses ran 13.64 in second place, lifetime best.He also won the 400 metres Hurdles in Brussels, in another race, the 800m, a young runner from Great Britain got his breakthrough, Sebastian Coe. It was not only the lovely weather, one spectator from Denmark could be pleased with.
    Last edited by paw; 10-02-2020, 11:51 AM.

Great footage!

Looked like Moses false started.

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
      Great footage!

Yeah, I don't think they wanted to kick him out.

Comment

Who is the guy in the white t-shirt who stopped running after the 9th hurdle?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Michaelson View Post
          Who is the guy in the white t-shirt who stopped running after the 9th hurdle?
          my guess would be Alejandro Casañas

Comment

Love the Philly Pioneer unis.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

my guess would be Alejandro Casañas
              yes, it's the World record-holder at that time (13.21 in 1977) Alejandro Casanas in lane 3, who slipped and dropped back. By the way, Dedy Cooper were also in the race in lane 1, I think

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
                Great footage!

I was thinking the same thing. It's a little weird to see Juantorena tie up.

Comment

Originally posted by schigh View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing. It's a little weird to see Juantorena tie up.
                  He looked like he was a bit heavier than in Montreal but also he should have known that he was not really fit enough to lead for the entire the race. That was just a bridge too far even for a legend. Watching him in Montreal, you get the impression that he was simply invincible from 400 to 800. Very rare, once a century talent. Which causes me to wonder what could he have done at 400h if he had chosen ? .. It strains the limits of the mind. The legend is now in mid life ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73W0CPelCw

Regarding Edwin, just consider what that 13.65 was worth , akin to approximately a 13.3 today. Is there a 400h man today that can deliver a 13.3 ?.. I doubt it.
                  Last edited by user4; 10-07-2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X