Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Charlie Moore

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RIP Charlie Moore

    Charlie Moore died last night (probably 7 October 2020) per Jeremy Schaap, ESPN Sportscaster. Jeremy and his father (Dick Schaap) knew Charlie well because of a Cornell connection, and Jeremy did a podcast with him a few weeks ago. Moore had pancreatic cancer and knew his time was short.

    Gold medal in 1952 400 m hurdles, silver medal in the 4x400
    NCAA Champ at 440 yd 1949
    AAU Champ at 400/440 hurdles 1949-52

  • #2
    Wow, what's going on with all these track and field deaths? Charlie Moore just turned 91 this past August. I don't think I realized he had had cancer. This is bad when we are reporting more deaths than birthdays. Stay tuned for tomorrow.

    Comment


    • #3
      3-time World Ranker in the 400
      Charlie Moore (US) 1949 5
      Charlie Moore (US) 1950 7
      Charlie Moore (US) 1951 5

      4-time Ranker in the 400H
      Charlie Moore (US) 1949 1
      Charlie Moore (US) 1950 2
      Charlie Moore (US) 1951 1
      Charlie Moore (US) 1952 1

      won NCAA titles in the 440 and 220H, but not the 400H because it wasn't staged when he ran the NCAA!

      Comment


      • #4
        When did the NCAA add the intermediate hurdles in Olympic years, and what year did they add them every year ? Just asking... I do not know.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
          When did the NCAA add the intermediate hurdles in Olympic years, and what year did they add them every year ? Just asking... I do not know.
          check out the 400H file in the NCAA by-event history in our Historical Results archive



          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gh View Post

            check out the 400H file in the NCAA by-event history in our Historical Results archive


            You made me work for it, gh:

            ran in 32,36,48,52,56, add annually in 59.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
              You made me work for it, gh:

              ran in 32,36,48,52,56, add annually in 59.
              teach a man to fish.... :-)

              Comment


              • #8
                For anyone keeping score at home, looks like the date of death was 8 October, not 7 October. Per his granddaughter, a reliable source, he died in the early morning hours of 8 October.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I met Charlie Moore about 15 years ago in connection with a project that I was working on. Mrs. tandfman and I found him to be very nice guy--an absolute pleasure to be with and talk to.

                  R.I.P.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Of course, he was before my time. But when I officiated the indoor IC4A at Cornell in the late 1990s, it sunk into how revered Charlie Moore is up in Cornell. May he Rest In Peace.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Moore had that rarity of careers, going undefeated in his primary event, the 400m/440y hurdles.

                      He was the last of the four individual event Olympic Gold medalists developed by coach Jimmy Curran at Mercersburg Academy: Ted Meredith (1912 800), Allen Woodring (1920 200), Bill Carr (1932 400), Charlie Moore (1952 400H). Meredith, Carr and Moore have been inducted into the National Track & Field Hall of Fame.
                      Last edited by dj; 10-10-2020, 12:22 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                        Of course, he was before my time. But when I officiated the indoor IC4A at Cornell in the late 1990s, it sunk into how revered Charlie Moore is up in Cornell. May he Rest In Peace.
                        Moore was athletic director at Cornell from 1994-99, in addition to his track career there. He became president of the IC4A in 1999.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          World Athletics obit now linked in front-page headline section.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dj View Post
                            Moore had that rarity of careers, going undefeated in his primary event, the 400m/440y hurdles.
                            He was the last of the four individual event Olympic Gold medalists developed by coach Jimmy Curran at Mercersburg Academy: Ted Meredith (1912 800), Allen Woodring (1920 200), Bill Carr (1932 400), Charlie Moore (1952 400H). Meredith, Carr and Moore have been inducted into the National Track & Field Hall of Fame.
                            That is a coaching legacy for the ages. .. But honestly, Bill Carr was on an entirely different level even with 200m olympic gold medalist Allen Woodring on the list.
                            Last edited by user4; 10-11-2020, 09:30 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Charlie Moore's obituary from the funeral home: https://www.homerfuneralhome.com/gal...arles-moore-jr

                              This story is on the Cornell Athletics website: https://cornellbigred.com/news/2020/...former-ad.aspx

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X