Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumpie

Happy birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion who was born 120 years ago today and died at the age of 84 after competing in only one Olympic Games.

No hurdles were involved with this Olympic gold medal, however there was a world record.

Manila, Oberlin, and Paris are all valuable clues as to the name of our birthday athlete on this final Sunday in October.

Please name this champion, if you can.

So no one has a clue, and neither do I, is the question "who went to Oberlin College and set a world record in Paris in 1924 of any relevance?"

Comment

Bill Stevenson - 1924 relay gold medalist - Rhodes Scholar, later President of Oberlin College, former US Ambassador to the Phillipines

Comment

I have no idea about Bumpie, except that Bill Carroll, who we all called Bumpy, was my one of closest friends thru junior high and high school back in Framingham, Mass.

Comment

Mr. G tells us that Bumpie was his wife's nickname. How on earth would anyone have known that?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
            Mr. G tells us that Bumpie was his wife's nickname. How on earth would anyone have known that?
            I suspect that DoubleRBar got it from Stevenson's Wikipedia page. After I posted my remark yesterday I googled Oberlin College Olympic Champions and was lead to Stevenson, where it mentioned his Presidency of Oberlin, his participating in the relay gold, his being the Ambassador to the Philippines, and his wife's nicknames. Since we don't allow research to help with the answers, is research appropriate for DoubleRBar to come up with obscure "clues"?

Comment

Since these are his games, he can write the rules. He's had clues involving family members' names before. I've always assumed he looked those up. As I said, I can't imagine that anyone would know something like that, especially about someone as obscure as Stevenson. And I include DoubleRBar in that statement.

Comment

Bill Stevenson it is and good work, bambam1729. Bill Stevenson was born 120 years ago Sunday. He ran the second leg (49.2) on the U.S. winning four by 400 relay team in Paris (1924) and yes, his wife (Eleanor Bumstead) was called "Bumpie".

Some of these birthday quizzes are easier than others and every-once-in-while, we have one that is not so easy, however they all have something in common: Olympic champions.

It's ok if nobody answers one of the quizzes, but I did think bambam1729 would get this one from the Oberlin (and maybe Manila) clue.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                  It's ok if nobody answers one of the quizzes, but I did think bambam1729 would get this one from the Oberlin (and maybe Manila) clue.
                  Yeah, Stevenson is one of my favorite Olympians because of the Rhodes Scholar thing and also the Ambassadorship to the Philippines

Comment

Next quiz won't be so difficult.

Comment

Working...
                    X