Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who competed in one Olympic Games in three events and won two Olympic gold medals.

Born 96 years ago today, this athlete died at the age of 89 about six years ago.

Don't worry about the hurdles when thinking about Olympic events for our birthday person.

Our birthday athlete was born 17 years after Oklahoma was admitted to the Union and approximately 39 years after another Olympian was born.

This other Olympian was born during the same month as our birthday champion and shares the same name as our birthday athlete.

You might even know that these two Olympians (birthday athlete and person who shares the same name) were born about ten miles from each other.

Did you know that our birthday individual won Olympic gold approximately 5,437 miles (8,750 km) from this athlete's place of birth?

The Academy Award (Oscar) for the "Best Picture" of a certain year gives you a big clue.

Rearrange the following 12 letters into two words that will help you figure out the name of our birthday athlete. "Ned: A Worm Cell"

Time to name our birthday champion for this third Monday of November.

Mel Patton?

Comment

Very good, none. Mel Patton it is. Patton was born 96 years ago today and you know that he competed in the 1948 London Olympics (100, 200, and the four by 100 relay). Patton was fifth place in the 100 and won the Olympic gold in the 200 three days later. He anchored the winning four by 100 relay to another gold medal four days after winning the 200.

General George S. Patton was born about 39 years before Mel Patton in San Gabriel, California. You know George Patton competed in the modern pentathlon at the 1912 Stockholm Olympic Games.

Thank you, noone.

Comment

I did not quite figure out your anagram. The best I could do is "we call modern", a reference to the pentathlon that we call modern (although it isn't all that modern)

Comment

I couldn't figure out what Oklahoma's admission to the Union had to do with anything. We already knew the year of his birth because you stated his age. We are much more likely to know how to subtract 96 from 2020 than to know when Oklahoma became a state.

Comment

"Ned: A Worm Cell" = Dean Cromwell. You should know by now, tandfman, that these birthday quizzes can be a learning experience. Now you know that the state of Oklahoma is 17 years older than Mel Patton. Not sure if Patton ever ran in Oklahoma, but that's another subject.

Comment

"Ned: a Worm Cell = Dean Cromwell" is a superb anagram.

Comment

Oklahoma's 1907 was always easy for me to remember as a kid as it was only 1 of 3 to get statehood in the 20th century. ( Arizona, New Mexico 1912 ) But then we added two more almost a half century later !

Comment

I did not get any of the other clues, as usual, but Oklahoma statehood 1907 easy for me. My grandfather homesteaded in Oklahoma Territory in 1902. My father was born in Oklahoma in 1909. I was born in the same room of that same homestead house in 1931.

Comment

Lots of history there.

Comment

Lonewolf, in my mother-in law's house many years ago I found an old atlas that must have belonged to her father. The maps in that atlas showed what is now Oklahoma as Indian Territory, this was apparently the official name.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                        Lonewolf, in my mother-in law's house many years ago I found an old atlas that must have belonged to her father. The maps in that atlas showed what is now Oklahoma as Indian Territory, this was apparently the official name.
                        The eastern half was Indian Territory, almost entirely Indian reservations dating from the Trail of Tears exodus from the SE United States. The western half was Oklahoma Territory, which was settled by a series of "runs" and lotteries between 1889 and 1902. At some point, it was determined the North Fork of the Red River was actually a tributary of the Main Fork and Greer County, formerly in Texas, was added to Oklahoma. The Red River wanders around and there are now bits of Oklahoma south of the river and bits of Texas north of the river. Some of those bits include oil wells, causing complications for Oklahoma and Texas regulatory bodies. I have never been involved in one of those situations but as I recall, the original state retained jurisdiction.
                        Last edited by lonewolf; 11-18-2020, 12:43 AM.

Comment

All this historical talk makes me want to ask, "How many Olympic champions (in track & field) that were born in Oklahoma (or the territory) can you name?" We will, of course, start with Jim Thorpe who was born in the Indian Territory in 1887. One more to our list would be Charlie Dumas (high jump in Melbourne). Any others?

Comment

J. W. Mashburn in 4 x 400 (1956).

Comment

Good one, J Rorick. I don't think I would have ever thought of him.

Comment

Working...
                              X