Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terry Bradshaw National Record for Javelin?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Bradshaw National Record for Javelin?

Came across this remark while reading Wikipedia but cannot find any other info to confirm. Says he set a national record of 245feet (74.68m) in the Javelin while attending Woodland HS. Is this correct? Seems like a very good mark for a HSer. No wonder he had one of the strongest arms (not that this matters according to some for the javelin) as one of the all-time great NFL quarterbacks. So T&FN is this right or is Wiki blowing smoke?

Distance may be a bit off or not, but yes, he held the HS javelin record for some time:

Originally posted by Sport's Illustrated Faces in the Crowd
    Terry Bradshaw, 17, a senior at Woodlawn High in Shreveport, La., set a national schoolboy javelin record with a throw of 243 feet 7 inches at a meet in his home town. A quarterback at Woodlawn, Terry will enroll at LSU this fall on a football scholarship.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1966/04/1...s-in-the-crowd
    Tangentially related, actor Michael Landon had the longest HS javelin throw of 1954 with a toss of 193 ft 4 in (58.93 m) toss.

Comment

Bradshaw actually ended up attending Louisiana Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
        Distance may be a bit off or not, but yes, he held the HS javelin record for some time:

Tangentially related, actor Michael Landon had the longest HS javelin throw of 1954 with a toss of 193 ft 4 in (58.93 m) toss.

Landon's real name I think was Eugene Orowitz. New Jersey boy, then he went to USC.

Louisiana, , Oregon, New Jersey and Pennsylvania always led ( still lead ? ) the country in HS JT, as no other states throw it !

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
          Came across this remark while reading Wikipedia but cannot find any other info to confirm. Says he set a national record of 245feet (74.68m) in the Javelin while attending Woodland HS. Is this correct? Seems like a very good mark for a HSer. ...
          gotta remember this was with the old javelin, which flew a lot farther.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post

Louisiana, , Oregon, New Jersey and Pennsylvania always led ( still lead ? ) the country in HS JT, as no other states throw it !
            the record Bradshaw broke was set by my college teammate, Foss Miller, state of Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

the record Bradshaw broke was set by my college teammate, Foss Miller, state of Washington.
              Hmmm??? I think we have plowed this ground before. As I recall, Bradshaw broke Little Joe's (or was it the other way around) record, who broke the HS record set by Bob Peoples, Oklahoma City Classen HS in 1939 when Okla still threw the javelin in HS.
              Last edited by lonewolf; 01-06-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

gotta remember this was with the old javelin, which flew a lot farther.
                Ah yes, I thought that would be the case. Any lists for these marks?

Comment

On a current basis, how many states now throw the javelin in High School ? I guess you can add WA to the ones I already cited.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                    On a current basis, how many states now throw the javelin in High School ? I guess you can add WA to the ones I already cited.
                    In recent memory, Kansas threw HS javelin.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      As I recall, Bradshaw broke Little Joe's (or was it the other way around) record, who broke the HS record set by Bob Peoples, Oklahoma City Classen HS in 1939 when Okla still threw the javelin in HS.
                      Landon had a good year but never the HS record. Bradshaw came twelve years later.

Comment

IIRC Bradshaw's HS record was broken by Russ Francis, later a tight end in the NFL with the NE Patriots and SF 49ers

Comment

To address several things:

1) There are 18 states which contest the javelin in their public schools' state meet.
                          2) Bradshaw's high school best was 244-11. His record was broken in 1967 by Mark Murro of Essex Catholic (Newark, NJ), 244-4 on May 20 '67 in a county meet. Murro later upped his record to 245-3 on May 30 at his conference meet, and then to 252-8 on May 31 in an invitational meet.
                          3) Bradshaw broke the exiting record earlier in '66: 240-2 on March 18 '66, 243-7 on April 1 '66
                          4) Record holder before Bradshaw was Foss Miller (Eastmont, East Wenatchee, Wa) who threw 232-9 at his league meet on April 17, 1966.
                          5) Eugie Orowitz (Collingswood, NJ) never held the national record, not even the New Jersey state record. His 193-4 best did lead the nation in 1954, but had been bettered as HSL in 21 of the 29 years before from 1925 through 1953.
                          6) Orowitz did have an unverified 211-7 in a summer meet in '54, but even that would have put him 4th on a high school all-time list.
                          6) Bob Peoples (Classen, Oklahoma City, Ok) set the HSR several times in '36 and '37. His best of 220-1 came while finishing 2nd in the national AAU championships in '37, and lasted as the HSR until 1957 when Jan Sikorsky (Ramsay, Mount Pleasant, Pa) threw 222-10 3/4.

Comment

Great info, dj - thanks!

As noted earlier, Eugene (not Eugie unless you have other sources) Orowitz was better known as actor Michael Landon. Got a USC scholarship out of the javelin but threw out his shoulder before doing anything significant as a college JTer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Landon

Comment

Thanks, dj, for the JT history. I guess I just remembered Peoples because he was a local hero and Bradshaw was the best-known celebrity.
                              In the 1930s, Classen HS, in an affluent area near downtown, was the prestigious Oklahoma City HS. The area declined in the 1950-60s, Classen NW moved to the suburbs. The area is now gentrified and the name revived as Classen HS of Mathematics and Science for ultra-smart kids. The school does not have athletic teams but a few individuals compete in local meets.
                              Last edited by lonewolf; 01-07-2021, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X