Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olli View Post
    This is fascinating. I am not sure if I have ever heard of her.
    I think I found out about her when she died 20 years ago.

She's also been mentioned a few times on the board as far back as 2003 (which women have won medals in both throws and jumps?) and as recently as 2019 by DoubleRBar's birthday trivia post https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...ng-the-ivories

Search for Ostermeyer for a few other threads.

There's also an obituary availabe on The Guardian website, which includes this story about having to work hard to gain acceptance in the musical sphere:

The marriage of the two was not always easy, and the Parisian musical establishment was initially less than enthusiastic about accepting a muscular young idol who was splashed all over the sports pages.

However, Ostermeyer's response was as effective as it was courageous; she undertook a concert in which, on a single evening, she played three major piano works one after another - Brahms' D minor concerto, C├ęsar Franck's Symphonic Variations and Liszt's concerto in E flat.

It was as much a test of strength and stamina as it was an artistic exercise, but it was a roaring success and her reputation was assured.

Comment

Going back to singers, I must say that the most impressive thing I've seen was somewhere in Europe, at the headquarters hotel of a track meet or some kind of track-related function. Not sure whether it was a dinner or a cocktail reception, or just sitting in the lobby. There was a piano, and a guy sits down, starts playing the piano to accompany himself and in the most incredibly soulful way belts out Orfeu's song from the great movie Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro in the original Portuguese). Stunning singing by the guy who, in fact, played Death in that movie. It was none other than Adhemar Ferreira da Silva, double Olympic triple jump gold medalist and former world record holder.

Comment

Pole vaulter Lawrence Johnson didn't sing for us, but at the T&FN Tour banquet in Atlanta in '96 he sat down and entertained the crowd with fabulous piano licks for a half hour or so.

Comment

I remember Lawrence Johnson playing at our banquet in Atlanta. Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
            Going back to singers, I must say that the most impressive thing I've seen was somewhere in Europe, at the headquarters hotel of a track meet or some kind of track-related function. Not sure whether it was a dinner or a cocktail reception, or just sitting in the lobby. There was a piano, and a guy sits down, starts playing the piano to accompany himself and in the most incredibly soulful way belts out Orfeu's song from the great movie Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro in the original Portuguese). Stunning singing by the guy who, in fact, played Death in that movie. It was none other than Adhemar Ferreira da Silva, double Olympic triple jump gold medalist and former world record holder.
            That's an amazing story, and I also enjoyed that movie, as well as the great music by Jobim .I'd had no idea that Death had been played by Adhemar Ferreira da Silvia, the great triple jump champion, although I might have seen his name in the credits, and just thought that, perhaps, that name might be common in Brazil.
            Last edited by Django; 01-16-2021, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X