X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by user4 View Post
    are you saying that Viren did blood pack (and perfectly legal to do so) in 1972 and that Pre most certainly did not ?
    I was just pointing out that it was legal at the time but isn't now.

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    I wonder what the real story was about Viren and the perfectly legal blood packing technique and did Pre blood pack ? What was the history of blood packing.
    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
    *At that time.
    are you saying that Viren did blood pack (and perfectly legal to do so) in 1972 and that Pre most certainly did not ?

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Pre, for a tough guy, seemed to have a lot of either excuses or rationalizations. He was just going through the motions, wasn't sharp, he's always forced to run against Europeans in Europe, Norpoth doesn't lead, etc.
    I said the same a few pages back so I'm glad someone else noticed that tendency.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied

I wonder what the real story was about Viren and the perfectly legal* blood packing technique and did Pre blood pack ? What was the history of blood packing.
    *At that time.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
    I think Prefontaine would have run under 13:16. For one thing, in several of the TFN articles, he mentioned just "going through the motions" in 1973 and 74, but he seemed somewhat rejuvenated in 1975. He also commented that he really wasn't sharp for the 5000 in '74 when he ran 13:21 and that 12:51.4 for 3 miles in beating Shorter (worth about 13:19 for 5k). I seem to recall him saying as much in the TFN interview (Oct or Nov issue?). For one thing, I think not doing a lot of mile races in 1974, as he had done in college, left him less ready for a fast 5k.

He did indicate that the 10k was probably his focus for the future, and I think that's what he would have concentrated on for Montreal, but I could see him going 13:14 or 13:15 in that race in Stockholm in July 1976 where Quax ran 13:13.10 and just missed the world record
    Pre, for a tough guy, seemed to have a lot of either excuses or rationalizations. He was just going through the motions, wasn't sharp, he's always forced to run against Europeans in Europe, Norpoth doesn't lead, etc.

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    Pre was not a Billy Mills level talent in 1972 but had he run that Munich race judiciously, he comes home with a medal. I am in a youtube Pre immersion course right now... it is exhilarating !.. I got a fever, and the only Prescription !!... Is more Steve Prefontaine !!!

I wonder what the real story was about Viren and the perfectly legal blood packing technique and did Pre blood pack ? What was the history of blood packing.
    Last edited by user4; 02-09-2021, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    On the other hand, 13.16 was hardly the limit of Virén's potential.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    What were you disagreeing with? I don't think Pre gets to 13:16.
    And I do, but Viren beats him in 1976 in 5 or 10 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
    I think Prefontaine would have run under 13:16. For one thing, in several of the TFN articles, he mentioned just "going through the motions" in 1973 and 74, but he seemed somewhat rejuvenated in 1975. He also commented that he really wasn't sharp for the 5000 in '74 when he ran 13:21 and that 12:51.4 for 3 miles in beating Shorter (worth about 13:19 for 5k). I seem to recall him saying as much in the TFN interview (Oct or Nov issue?). For one thing, I think not doing a lot of mile races in 1974, as he had done in college, left him less ready for a fast 5k.

He did indicate that the 10k was probably his focus for the future, and I think that's what he would have concentrated on for Montreal, but I could see him going 13:14 or 13:15 in that race in Stockholm in July 1976 where Quax ran 13:13.10 and just missed the world record
    Who knows but Pre ran 13:23 in his last race in May at 24 ....not looking troubled. 13:16 wouldn't have been out of reach...

Leave a comment:

• Alan Sigmon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Disagree!
    The problem is, however, I think the 72/76 Viren beats Pre 9 times out of 10 times.
    I also disagree that Pre's mind held him back - just the opposite - the will was strong but the flesh was weak . . . relatively.
    What were you disagreeing with? I don't think Pre gets to 13:16.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    There was very little to indicate that Pre would ever run faster than Viren's best.
    Disagree!
    The problem is, however, I think the 72/76 Viren beats Pre 9 times out of 10 times.
    I also disagree that Pre's mind held him back - just the opposite - the will was strong but the flesh was weak . . . relatively.

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    There was very little to indicate that Pre would ever run faster than Viren's best.
    Agreed, only the Munich final.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Hatas gotta hate!
    [but essentially right about it ]
    I was too young to even know who he was.. But just from what I have seen, physically he was better than 4th place in Munich.. however, mentally.. mentally he was lucky to get 4th.

Put Viren's head on Pre's body and Viren gets gold. Put Pre's head on Viren's body and he gets 4th place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X