Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Owens only qualify because of Luz Long?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Owens only qualify because of Luz Long?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/phi...OZXXZNLL5NAYE/

Phil Gifford writes in NZ Herald that the greatest display of sportsmanship in history was Luz Long telling Owens to mive his start back 6 inches, and thst without that sage like wisdom, Owens would have been done for. My response to Phil:

= = = = = =

Sorry Phil, but as a former long jumper, I call BS on this story about Jessee Owens only winning because Luz Long told Owens to move his stsrt mark back 6 inches.

I call BS because to believe that story one has to believe that Owens was inexperienced as a long jumper, and / or a half wit.

And Owens was neither.

Every well performed international class long jumper with 2 fouls and aware that their point to point jumping form is about 60cms better than the likely lowest qualifier will automatically move their start point back 6 inches, perhaps more.

While this story / legend is sugar sweet, and suited USA propaganda at the time, I am sure it is BS.

Owens has acknowledged it didnt happen.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=111878822
    There are no strings on me

Comment

So many of the more recent accounts on the Owens-Long friendship rightly explain the doubts about whether the qualifying round advice-giving actually ever took place, that it is surprising that any current story would only recount the legend.

Bambam told us in another thread that Owens confirmed the tale to him over lunch one day in 1978.

Both Owens and Gifford clearly abide by the saying “When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.”

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
        Bambam told us in another thread that Owens confirmed the tale to him over lunch one day in 1978.
        This is correct. January 1978 at Camelback Country Club in Scottsdale, Arizona. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Comment

Anyone who has ever competed in or watched a LJ competition calls BS on the Lutz Long advice story.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

This is correct. January 1978 at Camelback Country Club in Scottsdale, Arizona. Remember it like it was yesterday.
            I have a pretty good source.

Comment

Even my freshman jumpers, fresh off a foul, would say, "I know, I know, coach, move it back a foot!" You can always move it a little closer later.
              At every meet, after mentally adjusting their mark for the conditions, I knew that EVERYone, rookies or vets, feels that adrenaline rush for the first jump and that's why practice marks are often 6-12" too close. It ain't rocket surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                Owens has acknowledged it didn't happen.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=111878822
                Most probably it did not happen as it was shown on Jesse Owens movie I saw many years ago but it is a great story and humanizes event prior to one of the biggest atrocities in 20th century.
                https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3499096/

It is also on Internet so it must be true : -( 🤔
                "Carl Ludwig "Luz" Long (27 April 1913 – 14 July 1943) was a German Olympic long-jumper, notable for winning the silver medal in the event at the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin and for giving technical advice to his competitor, Jesse Owens, who went on to win the gold medal for the long jump."

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Even my freshman jumpers, fresh off a foul, would say, "I know, I know, coach, move it back a foot!" You can always move it a little closer later.
                  At every meet, after mentally adjusting their mark for the conditions, I knew that EVERYone, rookies or vets, feels that adrenaline rush for the first jump and that's why practice marks are often 6-12" too close. It ain't rocket surgery.
                  I'm sure Owens knew what to do but that doesn't mean Long couldn't have tried to help him

Comment

I'm sure Owens knew what to do but that doesn't mean Long couldn't have tried to help him
                    What Luz could have shared was by how much Jesse fouled, so Jesse could adjust. That IS valuable info.

Comment

This is true

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        What Luz could have shared was by how much Jesse fouled, so Jesse could adjust. That IS valuable info.
                        And this is also true.

Comment

So just to share the story of my lunch with Jesse Owens, still memorable to me today. In winter 1977-79 I was on the PGA Tour. Lived in Florida Oct-Dec but would go home to Massachusetts or my wife's family in Illinois over Xmas for a week or so. Would then drive out to Scottsdale around Dec 30 or so and set up shop practicing at a club called Camelback CC in Scottsdale for 10-14 days before the tour started in either Tucson or Phoenix. My college roomie, Dennis Satyshur, was an assistant pro at Camelback in 78-79, and I stayed with him at his apartment in Carefree, AZ. In 78 on my first night at his condo he tells me Jesse Owens is a member of the club and plays there all the time and he had gotten to know him. Dennis was a very good athlete, he was the captain and starting quarterback at Duke in addition to playing on the golf team (also walked on to the basketball team 1 year) so he and Jesse got along very well.

He asked me if I'd like to meet him and maybe have lunch with him. Naturally I wanted to so Dennis set it up. A day or two later I sat down with Jesse, Dennis, and 2 of Jesse's friends. We had lunch and talked for about 90 minutes. He showed me a copy of a letter that he kept with him at all times, that Luz Long had sent him a few months before he was killed in WW2.

A few months before the lunch, TAFNews had run a feature on the "Fastest Sprinter of All Time" - this would have been late 1977. The article selected Bob Hayes as the GOAT with Jesse second. I mentioned the article to Jesse and asked what he thought of it. I will never forget his answer. With the pride that only a great athlete can have, he replied, very quietly, "Well, they have their opinion ... and I have mine." There was no doubt what that was.

It was an unbelievable experience. Have never forgotten it and never will.

Comment

Working...
                          X