Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Prefontaine had won

I am wondering what ramifications there would have been from a Steve Prefontaine victory at Munich. With his charisma and personality, would he have received the same attention from the media as Spitz and Jenner and perhaps become as popular, or at least as well known to the general public? What effect would a victory have had on the trajectory of U.S. distance running? Want would have been the impact on his running career going forward?

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
    I am wondering what ramifications there would have been from a Steve Prefontaine victory at Munich. With his charisma and personality, would he have received the same attention from the media as Spitz and Jenner and perhaps become as popular, or at least as well known to the general public? What effect would a victory have had on the trajectory of U.S. distance running? Want would have been the impact on his running career going forward?
    I feel bad thinking this, but his death in 75 may have done more for his legacy than a Gold in 72.

Comment

Agreed. His death created a legend. His living, even as a 1972 gold medallist wouldn't have done that.

However, perhaps Chicago was meaning he still died after winning

Comment

Working...
      X