Brumel vs Sotomayor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brumel vs Sotomayor

One question that I have always wrestled with. Who was the better high jumper of all-time: Brumel or Sotomayor?

Re: Brumel vs Sotomayor

if Brumel had had as many years as Sotomayor, might be easier to say.

Anyone seen a photo of Soto kicking a basketball net? Love that pic of Brumel.

Comment

Brumel...off cinders, without modern technique, training, and "supplements". However, I think Vladamir Yascheno was the greatest ever talent.

Comment

Early on Soto had the habit of choking at the big meets. I think Brumel also had quite a few undefeated seasons, so I'd go with Brumel, but it's not a choice I'll defend with much gusto.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find a link to the photo of Brumel kicking the basketball net? Has anyone else even TRIED to do that? I cannot see any NBA ballers being capable. I've got to see that photo.

Comment

Wow that's a tough one - let me try a crack at it. How about page 42 of the March T&FN?

Comment

Brumel for sure. He practically never lost in big meets and he jumped 6 cm higher than the nr.2 guy of that era John Thomas + that Brumel beat him like a drum indoors and out.
              Sotomayor lost occasionally in big meets and he is "just" 3cm higher than Sjoberg.
              How about best American after 1950. Too hard! But I'll take Charlie Dumas ahead of Stones and Austin and then Thomas/Fosbury.

Comment

A picture of Brumel kicking the rim was included in Brumel's obituary. See http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/genera ... _obit.html

Comment

Re: Re: Brumel vs Sotomayor

Two other Olympic champions might figure in that list: Hollis Conway, Buddy Davis (the latter a world record holder).

Comment

Re: Re: Brumel vs Sotomayor

I might agree about Buddy Davis who dominated the H.J. scene in 51-52-53. He was the last Western Roller who held the record in the H.J. Also the tallest H.J. W.Rec holder of all time (I think).
                    But Hollis Conway great as he was never won Olympic gold.

Comment

I say Brumel because of all the natural obstacles the jumpers of that era had to overcome.
                      Consider the landing pits and lousy runways alone!
                      Also, I don't see a lot of experimentation when confronted with 2" of hard earth or 6" of cinders falling from 7' in the air!
                      Not only was Valeriy consistant having never lost a competition by virtue of being outjumped but to the best of my knowledge he never used performance enhancing drugs like Sotomayor.

Comment

Did you ever find a source for photos or videos of Brumel or other 1960's jumpers as I have been looking for years.
                        Thanks!
                        John

Comment

Did I miss something? Did Soto get popped for drugs?

Comment

Coke

Comment

John, the official Tokyo Olympics video is available in various places online. It has a nice sequence of Brumel, Thomas and John Rambo in the HJ finals.

Comment

Working...
                              X