Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diadora

Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who competed in two Olympic Games at the same event.

Born 62 years ago today, this athlete is the only person from a certain country to win Olympic gold in a certain event.

Our birthday athlete won a bronze medal at the World Championships.

You might already know that this champion shares the same initials as a U.S. president (who is still alive).

I wouldn't worry about the hurdles with this individual.

Please name our birthday athlete on this first Friday of April.

Diadora helped a lot. Must be Italian.

Gelindo Bordin comes to mind. He has the same initials with George Bush.

Comment

Happy 62nd birthday today to Gelindo Bordin. Very nice, gmak. Bordin ran the Olympic marathon in Seoul (1988) and in Barcelona (1992). He took gold in Seoul, running 2:10:32, but did not finish the Barcelona race in 1992.

Gelindo Bordin is the first Italian to win the Olympic marathon and he remains the only man to win both the Boston Marathon and the Olympic Games marathon.

Today, Bordin is the marketing director for Diadora (Italian company).

Thank you, gmak.
      Last edited by DoubleRBar; 04-02-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

The living US President clue made me think of Jimmy Carter who shares his initials with Joaquim Cruz. However, Cruz is a little too young and I am pretty sure he ran at more than 2 Olympics.

Comment

Joaquim Cruz ran in three Olympics: Los Angeles (1984), Seoul (1988), and Atlanta (1996).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post

Gelindo Bordin is the only Italian to win the Olympic marathon and he remains the only man to win both the Boston Marathon and the Olympic Games marathon.

Umm, Stefano Baldini?

And there was another Italian who crossed the finish line first at an OIympic marathon, as most readers of this thread know.

Comment

Sorry, suppose to say "first Italian".

Comment

I realize everybody knows the answer, but somebody take me up on my statement that Bordin was NOT the first Italian to cross the finish line first in an Olympic marathon.Please.

Comment

Gelindo Bordin was the first Italian to win the Olympic marathon. Dorando Pietri crossed the finish line first in 1908, however he did not win the Olympic marathon.

Comment

Working...
                  X