Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Women's Track World"

Just picked up a copy of this magazine, March 1978. Vol 1, No. 3.

I assume it started Jan of that year? How long did it last? Anyone got a set to sell?

The cover features

Joni Huntley HJ 6-4
    Maren Seidler SP 61-2
    Mary Decker 1000y 2:23.8
    Lorna Forde 500m 1:10.5

Not bad for 43 years ago!

Found the next issue on ebay, and find it ironically humorous that it was published in MENtone, CA . . .

Comment

"Women's Track World" was the successor to "Women's Track & Field World," both of which were published by Vince Reel.

I believe WTFW lasted for about 10 years from '67 to '76, while WTW might not have lasted to 1980, which was right around when T&FN began to give full coverage to what old-timers used to call "the distaff side" of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
        "Women's Track World" was the successor to "Women's Track & Field World," both of which were published by Vince Reel.
        I believe WTFW lasted for about 10 years from '67 to '76, while WTW might not have lasted to 1980.
        Interesting! I'm sure there are some stacks of both lying around in attics or cellars, but the trick is getting people to know that. Most will get dumpstered (that was for gh) after the collector's death.

Comment

and before WTFW there was Cinderbelle

Comment

I wonder how many copies were ever printed.... Log Distance Log which ran until 1975 was well known in distance running but only had 700 subscribers...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              and before WTFW there was Cinderbelle
              And before Cinderbelle there was Track Mirror.
              Last edited by wamego relays champ; 04-06-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                And before Cinderbelle there was Track Mirror.
                interesting . . . from Louise Tricard's 'History' book:

"In that same year, 1961, Pat [Rico] was the co-founder of Track Mirror, a publication devoted to women's track and field. She remained contributing editor to Cinderbelle, the magazine that followed Track Mirror."

Love to know more about those and get my grubby mitts on a copy of each, plus the forerunner to WTW . . . WTFW

Comment

I always thought it was strange that T&FN didn't cover the women's side of the sport.

Comment

For years there wasn't much to cover....in the Midwest it was almost non-existent....

Also as noted there were journals covering women's track...
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-10-2021, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                      I always thought it was strange that T&FN didn't cover the women's side of the sport.
                      My first stint with T&FN started in 1976. Which was the first year the magazine covered women (for all issues; they previously covered the women's events for the Olympics).

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        For years there wasn't much to cover....in the Midwest it was almost non-existent....
                        I'm sure Mid-Westerners still saw women competing in the Olympics, Pan-Am Games, international meets on TV, maybe even read about them in the papers.

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

My first stint with T&FN started in 1976. Which was the first year the magazine covered women (for all issues; they previously covered the women's events for the Olympics).
                        Ok - at least they got mentioned once every four years until then lol

Still find it strange and I'd think the US was the only place in the world where this happened - whether in T&F or in other publications for mixed sports like tennis, swimming etc.

I can't imagine being a fan of tennis and having to buy two magazines to cover the one sport and (often) the exact same events/meets.

I could maybe see it happening in the 1920/30s where they were governed by different world bodies but not anytime afterwards. Even if it was just a one or two page 'women's news' each month.

Last edited by Vault-emort; 04-10-2021, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Still find it strange and I'd think the US was the only place in the world where this happened - whether in T&F or in other publications for mixed sports like tennis, swimming etc.

I can't imagine being a fan of tennis and having to buy two magazines to cover the one sport and (often) the exact same events/meets.

I could maybe see it happening in the 1920/30s where they were governed by different world bodies but not anytime afterwards. Even if it was just a one or two page 'women's news' each month.
                          Here in the UK, Athletics Weekly began in 1946(?) and I think always covered men's and women's sides. I know it covered both in the mid 1960s issues my parents had. This is despite England in particular having separate governing bodies until the early 1990s and quite a lot of men only and women only clubs existing, particularly in London, until around about that time.

Comment

Swimming World, which started circa 1960, has always covered men and women equally. Tennis magazines in the USA (Tennis Magazine, World Tennis) likewise covered men and women equally.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              The overall participation might not have been great, but US female athletes were still a major force in world T&F.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X