Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I don't know why T&FN didn't cover women then. It could have been that they didn't want to intrude on the women track publications. There were so few women's meets. Also the big relays, Drake and Kansas didn't have any women events.

Long Distance Log mentioned women when they ran most notably having the first Boston female finisher, Roberta Gibb, on the cover. But there were no women only races and women in races were very rare.

Compared to swimming and tennis women's running just wasn't much of a thing though there were exceptions. Debbie Heald was my age and she ran as fast as I did in high school.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LrvJ2bsFduY
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-10-2021, 06:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Swimming World, which started circa 1960, has always covered men and women equally. Tennis magazines in the USA (Tennis Magazine, World Tennis) likewise covered men and women equally.
    Women's swimming was far more advanced than track in 50s and 60s. I started swimming competitively at 9 and there were as many girls as there were boys. And that was true all through high school. And meets always had girls and boys in them.

Hinsdale Swim Club a powerhouse then had girl life guards etc. Unfortunately for the girls there was no high school girls swimming team, which even then struck me as odd since Hinsdale had a lot of top female swimmers.

And tennis too was mixed in age group tennis. There were as many girls taking tennis lessons as boys where I grew up.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-10-2021, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

Still find it strange and I'd think the US was the only place in the world where this happened
    But from what I heard, the ATFS Annual didn't include women's lists until around 1980, either.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    For years there wasn't much to cover....in the Midwest it was almost non-existent....
    The overall participation might not have been great, but US female athletes were still a major force in world T&F.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Still find it strange and I'd think the US was the only place in the world where this happened - whether in T&F or in other publications for mixed sports like tennis, swimming etc.
    Swimming World, which started circa 1960, has always covered men and women equally. Tennis magazines in the USA (Tennis Magazine, World Tennis) likewise covered men and women equally.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied

Still find it strange and I'd think the US was the only place in the world where this happened - whether in T&F or in other publications for mixed sports like tennis, swimming etc.

I can't imagine being a fan of tennis and having to buy two magazines to cover the one sport and (often) the exact same events/meets.

I could maybe see it happening in the 1920/30s where they were governed by different world bodies but not anytime afterwards. Even if it was just a one or two page 'women's news' each month.
    Here in the UK, Athletics Weekly began in 1946(?) and I think always covered men's and women's sides. I know it covered both in the mid 1960s issues my parents had. This is despite England in particular having separate governing bodies until the early 1990s and quite a lot of men only and women only clubs existing, particularly in London, until around about that time.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    For years there wasn't much to cover....in the Midwest it was almost non-existent....
    I'm sure Mid-Westerners still saw women competing in the Olympics, Pan-Am Games, international meets on TV, maybe even read about them in the papers.

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

My first stint with T&FN started in 1976. Which was the first year the magazine covered women (for all issues; they previously covered the women's events for the Olympics).
    Ok - at least they got mentioned once every four years until then lol

I can't imagine being a fan of tennis and having to buy two magazines to cover the one sport and (often) the exact same events/meets.

I could maybe see it happening in the 1920/30s where they were governed by different world bodies but not anytime afterwards. Even if it was just a one or two page 'women's news' each month.

Last edited by Vault-emort; 04-10-2021, 03:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J Rorick
    replied
    I always thought it was strange that T&FN didn't cover the women's side of the sport.
    My first stint with T&FN started in 1976. Which was the first year the magazine covered women (for all issues; they previously covered the women's events for the Olympics).

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Also as noted there were journals covering women's track...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-10-2021, 01:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    I always thought it was strange that T&FN didn't cover the women's side of the sport.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    And before Cinderbelle there was Track Mirror.
    interesting . . . from Louise Tricard's 'History' book:

"In that same year, 1961, Pat [Rico] was the co-founder of Track Mirror, a publication devoted to women's track and field. She remained contributing editor to Cinderbelle, the magazine that followed Track Mirror."

Love to know more about those and get my grubby mitts on a copy of each, plus the forerunner to WTW . . . WTFW

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    and before WTFW there was Cinderbelle
    And before Cinderbelle there was Track Mirror.
    Last edited by wamego relays champ; 04-06-2021, 05:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I wonder how many copies were ever printed.... Log Distance Log which ran until 1975 was well known in distance running but only had 700 subscribers...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    and before WTFW there was Cinderbelle

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    "Women's Track World" was the successor to "Women's Track & Field World," both of which were published by Vince Reel.
    I believe WTFW lasted for about 10 years from '67 to '76, while WTW might not have lasted to 1980.
    Interesting! I'm sure there are some stacks of both lying around in attics or cellars, but the trick is getting people to know that. Most will get dumpstered (that was for gh) after the collector's death.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X