X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post

Right now, with her OUTdoor season just beginning, I'd say she has an excellent chance to be the best ever Frosh!
    Already, she---
    broke the 600 CR by over a second!
    broke the 800 CR by over two seconds!
    ran the fastest ever INdoor 400, Relay or open!!

What if she were to smash the OUTdoor 800 CR by a second or two--to !:58 or 1:57?
    And add a 400 under 50, maybe even a CR there also?
    And improve her 1500 to 4:05 or faster??

AND make the Olympic team, then medal in Tokyo??
    Somehow i don't think the athletics world is going to get overly excited if she meets your performance targets and runs 49.99, 1:57.00 and 4:05.00 which will place her 86th, 70th and 393rd on the alltime lists.

Leave a comment:

• berkeley
    replied
    Steve Lewis won the Olympic title at the end of his frosh year, with the then-third fastest time ever, beating the newly minted WR holder.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Pre had 4 years

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by dj View Post
    mwfan:
    yes, Williams did finish high school in '61. I mismarked his freshman year of 1962, when he was ranked #1 in the world.

For those not aware, Williams and Historical Board contributor Tom Sullivan were co-recipients of T&FN's high school athlete of year honors.
    Ulis was one of my favorite athletes in the early 60's! in T&F!
    But wasn't it a rule back then that College Frosh weren't allowed to compete in the NCAA Championships?
    (That extended to Pre's time, I believe--thus he only had 3 years of NCAA Champs eligibility---as did Lindgren before him!)
    Also, I remember T&FN had a separate monthly list for JC & Freshman athletes back then!

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    mwfan:
    yes, Williams did finish high school in '61. I mismarked his freshman year of 1962, when he was ranked #1 in the world.

For those not aware, Williams and Historical Board contributor Tom Sullivan were co-recipients of T&FN's high school athlete of year honors.

Leave a comment:

• midwestfan
    replied
    dj:
    Ulis Williams graduated from HS in 1961 and would have been a freshman for his 400meter times at Arizona State in the spring/summer of 1962. I believe he was world ranked in 1962 as well as his high school 1961 year.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    After a quick check of T&FN world rankings (men only) from 1947 to the present, here's a list of U.S. #1 world rankers in their first year out of high school. I haven't really researched this except to verify people on whom I had questions.
    400, Ulis Williams '61, Lee Evans '66
    800 Ryun '66
    1500, Ryun '66
    110H, Renaldo Nehemiah '78
    HJ, Charlie Dumas '56

Dumas is the only one of this group for whom the calendar works to give him an Olympics in his first year out of high school. He ranks #1, wins the gold medal, and becomes the first person to clear 7-0.

Richard is correct about Hal Davis being a clear #1 in both the 100 and 200 in 1940. As for other people mentioned, only Jesse Owens would have pulled a #1. Owens (1934) would have been #2 in the 100, unranked in the 200, and #1 in the long jump.

Ted Meredith (1913) would have been a likely #2 in the 400 and #9 in the 800. Gerry Lindgren (1965) was #10 in the 5000 and #6 in the 10,000.

Randy Matson (1964) was #2 in the SP, trailing OG gold medalist Dallas Long, who was a #2 world ranker his first year out of high school (1959), repeating his ranking from his high school senior year.

Les MacMitchell (1939) would not have world ranked, nor did Steve Prefontaine (1970).

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied

Right now, with her OUTdoor season just beginning, I'd say she has an excellent chance to be the best ever Frosh!
    Already, she---

What if she were to smash the OUTdoor 800 CR by a second or two--to !:58 or 1:57?

It's all about how she rates with the rest of the world - not with collegiate performances.

As rhymans points out she has a huge hill to climb to match Hal Davis. She would need to be number 1 in both 400 and 800, and because it is Olympic year she will have to win both gold medals to match Davis.

​​​Nit impossible, I guess, but unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• rhymans
    replied
    Not at a 4 year college, but a JC freshman in 1940, Hal Davis was the US champion over 100 and 200 metres as a freshman, and the world's #1 in those events

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied

Anybody running sub 50 and sub 4:05 should be a lot quicker than 1:57.

The sub 4:05 seems highly unlikely to me.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Slow down a bit. Let's allow the season to unfold before we start crowning her Freshman GOAT. Ryun has set a pretty high bar, and she may surpass that. Still, a bit of perspective.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post

I agree.
    Already, she---

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    Sorry aaronk. But Athing Mu is not remotely close to Jim Ryun in terms freshman year performances.
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Sorry aaronk. But Athing Mu is not remotely close to Jim Ryun in terms freshman year performances.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin536 View Post
    Wasn't Ryun in 1966 ranked 1st in the world at 1500/mile AND the 800? And wasn't he TAFNews Athlete of the Year, too? Pretty hard to top that.
    Adding in Ryun's 1966 Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of Year & the Sullivan award, Mu or anyone else has quite a mountain to climb to match up . . .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X