Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was 1st Kiwi to compete in NCAA system?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who was 1st Kiwi to compete in NCAA system?

    Was it Les Mills (thrower at USC)? If so, what years? Believe Geoff Pyne started with UCLA (fall of 1965), but assume Les Mills was before him. Doesn't have to be a recognizable Kiwi.....just a Kiwi. And which school. Again, who was the first Kiwi? Thanks.

  • #2
    USC lists Mills as on the team only for '64. T&FN noted in the spring preview he was too old to compete in the NCAA.

    Pyne is first listed in our page as a soph for the '65 season.

    I can't think of any before them, fwiw.

    Les's son Phil, of course, went on to hurdle at UCLA.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, he didn't technically compete in the NCAA, which didn't commence until 1911 but he did compete for University of Pennsylvania, a member of the NCAA's precursor, the IAAUS, which started in 1905.

      Oh, who was he? Dr Guy Haskins, who I believe held the (or a) collegiate mile record at some stage. He never made the Olympics but he did try and make the USA team but was not selected but he also wasn't selected in the Aus/NZ team either.

      I'm sure those with better access to USA historical resources than me can track down some further information.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by El Toro View Post
        Well, he didn't technically compete in the NCAA, which didn't commence until 1911 but he did compete for University of Pennsylvania, a member of the NCAA's precursor, the IAAUS, which started in 1905.

        Oh, who was he? Dr Guy Haskins, who I believe held the (or a) collegiate mile record at some stage. He never made the Olympics but he did try and make the USA team but was not selected but he also wasn't selected in the Aus/NZ team either.

        I'm sure those with better access to USA historical resources than me can track down some further information.
        Guy Haskins was entered in several events at the 1908 Olympics for Australasia (AUS+NZL) but did not compete. In 1908-12 the "nation" that competed at the Olympics was Australasia.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

          Guy Haskins was entered in several events at the 1908 Olympics for Australasia (AUS+NZL) but did not compete. In 1908-12 the "nation" that competed at the Olympics was Australasia.
          Interesting that he was nominated. His non-appearance might have been a lack of money, something that was not uncommon for many decades to come. I wonder if he tried for the USA team after the other option closed off or vice versa? I'm pretty sure he returned to NZ at some stage as well.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gh View Post
            USC lists Mills as on the team only for '64. T&FN noted in the spring preview he was too old to compete in the NCAA.

            Pyne is first listed in our page as a soph for the '65 season.

            I can't think of any before them, fwiw.

            Les's son Phil, of course, went on to hurdle at UCLA.
            Thanks Garry. That fits. Phil Mills was born in 1955 and Les Mills would certainly be considered an over-age athlete in 1964 (if that rule even applied back then). USC gives Les Mills credit as the only Trojan to have carried his nation's flag in 2 Olympic Opening Ceremonies (1960 & 1972).
            I believe Geoff Pyne was invaluable to Bob Day as a training partner at UCLA. Geoff returned to NZ, won 1970 NZ x-c title and was on NZ team for 1971 World Cross Country champs (San Sebastian, Spain).
            The Guy Haskins thing is going back a bit further than I anticipated, but hey, I did ask.
            There was somewhat of a stampede of Aussies to US colleges after the success of Jim Baillie at Oregon. I recall Aussies at Arizona State (late fifties). Arthur instilled idea in Kiwi heads that US colleges would ruin you with over-competing.
            Feel free to all to discuss further.

            Comment

            Working...
            X