Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Gillan - pole vaulter

While cleaning up my emails (yes I live such an exciting life) I came across this old email to myself regarding Ian Gillan the singer for Deep Purple during their classic period. He recalled his sporting youth as follows:

Fortunately, Audry [his mother] was teaching at the time, and she she was able to use her influence to have me transferred to Acton County Grammar School, where I began to achieve my best.

In this new setting, I was able to pick up on sport again, and found a niche in athletics, and pole vaulting in particular. Howvever, for those who follow modern-day athletics, you should remember that in my time (maybe yours too) they didn't have the flexible poles we see today, and so the challenge of reaching "thin air" could be quite demanding, while they used to to say you could always tell a vaulter of that period by the nine-inch gap between cuff and hand!

Still, with encouragement from the games master (or must we say teacher), I was entered for the Souuthern Schools Championship at the White City, and it was fantastic. I think I came next to last, or maybe even last, but it didn't matter, because I felt as if I'd actually been to the Olympics. I'd performed before an "audience", and felt my first real sense of achievement.

Now that story provides an obvious challenge for any UK stats junkies out there!

Intriguing - Acton County Grammar School would have only been a mile or two from the White City stadium (now the site of a large shopping mall).

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
      Intriguing - Acton County Grammar School would have only been a mile or two from the White City stadium (now the site of a large shopping mall).
      Great memories of watching the Greyhound Derby there in the very early 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

Great memories of watching the Greyhound Derby there in the very early 1980s.
        My dad ran there a few times in the late 1950s and early 1960s (he wasn't a greyhound!!).

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

My dad ran there a few times in the late 1950s and early 1960s (he wasn't a greyhound!!).
          Good to see that distance runners are now emulating the dish lickers by chasing an electronic version of the rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
            While cleaning up my emails (yes I live such an exciting life) I came across this old email to myself regarding Ian Gillan the singer for Deep Purple during their classic period. He recalled his sporting youth as follows:

Now that story provides an obvious challenge for any UK stats junkies out there!
            What does this mean? “The nine-inch gap between cuff and hand!”?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

What does this mean? “The nine-inch gap between cuff and hand!”?
              No, it was about the propensity on this board for the details of obscure performances to be provided to people's surprise.

So, the stats challenge was, "How high did Ian Gillan vault at the school championships and did he finish last or second last?"

Comment

Working...
              X