Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vale Dr Nick Linthorne

I found out late yesterday that Nick had died last year at the relatively young age of 57. As many of you will know, Nick made a number of contributions to the biomechanics of this sport including pole vault, long jump and a number of papers on wind assistance in sprints as well as undertaking a comprehensive review of the circumstances of the W100 WR.

Like board member JRM, Nick trained as a physicist including gaining a PhD in the field of gravity wave detection. However, he then converted to sport biomechanics as a full-time job, spending the latter years at Brunel University in the UK.

It's over 30 years since I coached Nick in the pole vault, but he's regularly inserted himself into my consciousness through his many useful papers. Thanks many times, old son, especially for your hilarious explanation of the Riverside Expressway skid marks!

Here's an obituary written by one of his biomechanics colleagues, Daniel Fong:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...1.2021.1861700

Sorry for your loss, El Toro. His work in our Athletics has been beneficial for us all.

Comment

largely responsible for the wind-adjustment charts in the Big Gold Book

Comment

We should all be so fortunate to leave behind us a legacy that is so beneficial.

Comment

What a shame. I used to enjoy his website back in the day.

Comment

His work in analyzing the 1988 US Trials Women's 100 was a crisp and clear appraisal of a record which should never have been ratified. The 10.49 of Flo-Jo should never have been accepted, and the 1061 she ran in the final the next day was the mark which should have been approved. Linthorne' analysis of this was superb

Comment

Working...
            X