Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the Worst Men's Olympic Champ, 1956-2016 ?!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the Worst Men's Olympic Champ, 1956-2016 ?!

Not trivia, just a discussion topic. Thinking honors won, rankings, etc., who is the worst male individual Olympic Champ from 1956 onward ? I have not even thought about it myself yet.

I hate to think of any Olympic champion as "the worst", but I will think about it.

Comment

Maybe Tiainen?

Comment

I've only thought through the '56 winners, and narrowed them down to Jenkins and Brasher.

Comment

go back to '52 and a good case can be made for Remigino

Comment

I'll go with Ria Stalman
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
              I'll go with Ria Stalman
              Did you happen to read the title of the thread?

Comment

Who cares about the title :P
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

This is too easy - any that were busted for PEDs.

Comment

Josia Thugwane definitely...

An interesting question...more like least relevant...

Peds don't count...they never existed...
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-26-2021, 02:23 AM.

Comment

While this topic seems perfect for a subjective but lively discussion of personal opinions, it could be measured objectively by scoring T&FN World Ranking points earned for all men's gold medalists of the era.

This site reveals the top athletes ever ranked (appearances and points). If the compilation was done over the entire rankings database, it would not be too hard to find the gold medalist closest to the bottom of the scoring list after filtering for the period 1956-2016.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                        While this topic seems perfect for a subjective but lively discussion of personal opinions, it could be measured objectively by scoring T&FN World Ranking points earned for all men's gold medalists of the era.
                        Are those rankings objective??? I remember having disagreed with them.

Comment

Maybe not worst but always thought Volker Beck in 1980 was the most under-valued gold medal since Moses would have been ahead of him by about a full hurdle if he had been able to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post

Are those rankings objective??? I remember having disagreed with them.
                            True, they are a panel's opinion, but they are widely considered the gold standard of ranking the top performers in each event in each year.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                              Not trivia, just a discussion topic. Thinking honors won, rankings, etc., who is the worst male individual Olympic Champ from 1956 onward ? I have not even thought about it myself yet.
                              Looking at it from a relatively objective point of view, I’ve got a couple methods to find lowest quality winning mark. Take the average of the top 10 marks for the previous four years and compare each gold medalists’ performance against that average. If WA/IAAF had their evaluation scheme back in 1956, that could be another approach.

Based purely on the quality of the winning mark, I’d say Matt Centrowitz’s 2016 1500 might look really bad even though Centro is a fine athlete with many accomplishments.

Comment

Working...
                              X