Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the Worst Men's Olympic Champ, 1956-2016 ?!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    I don't get the Centro bashing. He ran 1500 meters faster than his competitors on a given day under identical conditions.
    Since I started it, I’ll weigh in here.

First Centrowitz was the smartest guy on the track that day. He is a fine athlete with an impressive resume. I doubt there is a lot of disagreement there. His time may nor may not have won a lot of HS state meets that year(again, I know it was a tactical race and he’d have run a very different race against a bunch of first rate HS athletes). But my goodness, that was an 1100m jog with a 400 meter sprint at the end.

Second: the initial question was looking for male Olympic champions. By definition, the contenders for this title were allthe best guys in their events that day.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
      I don’t think dukehjsteve meant for us to pick the biggest surprise winner, he would have said so. Some surprise winners later confirmed their surprise Olympic victory with fine careers (Kirk Walcott, Donald Thomas, etc.). To me, the question is “who had the least impressive career, other than that gold medal?”
      I would say Tiainen, but you can make a case for Remigino, Barthel, Hasely Crawford and the South African marathon runner whose name is on the tip of my tongue.
      Josia Thugwane which I posted earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
        I don’t think dukehjsteve meant for us to pick the biggest surprise winner, he would have said so. Some surprise winners later confirmed their surprise Olympic victory with fine careers (Kirk Walcott, Donald Thomas, etc.). To me, the question is “who had the least impressive career, other than that gold medal?”
        I would say Tiainen, but you can make a case for Remigino, Barthel, Hasely Crawford and the South African marathon runner whose name is on the tip of my tongue.
        Crawford was one of the world's top sprinters for quite a few years. Admittedly, I can't remember many times outside of Montreal where he actually won the race when up against Quarrie, Williams, Riddick, Leonard etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Josia Thugwane which I posted earlier.
          He won Fukuoka and was 3rd in London in 1997. 2:07 was not a shabby PB in late 1990s.
          I'd say Peter Rono had a less remarkable career.

And of course, there are athletes with even less remarkable careers who won in 1980 or 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Crawford was one of the world's top sprinters for quite a few years. Admittedly, I can't remember many times outside of Montreal where he actually won the race when up against Quarrie, Williams, Riddick, Leonard etc.
            My only other memory of Crawford was in Visions of Eight when he pulled up in the final.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
              He won Fukuoka and was 3rd in London in 1997. 2:07 was not a shabby PB in late 1990s.

And of course, there are athletes with even less remarkable careers who won in 1980 or 1984.
              1984? You mean the guy who destroyed the field in the last 10k and a year later broke the WR by almost a minute.

Comment

This is a silly topic. For example, if this topic ran in January 1961, based on the reasoning by some, then Peter Snell would feature highly.

Other than the drug cheats, this topic is also disrespectful to those who on the day was the greatest in the world in their event.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

1984? You mean the guy who destroyed the field in the last 10k and a year later broke the WR by almost a minute.
                  No. I didn't mean the marathon champion in 1984. I don't think we lost anyone important to boycott in that year's marathon.

Comment

No. I didn't mean the marathon champion in 1984. I don't think we lost anyone important to boycott in that year's marathon.
                    Okay I see what you mean. The marathon that year did have all the relevant people in relatively top shape. Lopes was in marvelous form. They were at 2:11 pace at 20 miles and he finished in 2:09:21.
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-26-2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

I agree about Centro's 2016 Gold being the worst---at least on quality of winning mark!
                      Embarrassing to even call him Olympic Champion!
                      (Even though I also agree he's a nice guy, etc etc!)
                      What's embarrassing is saying that it's embarrassing to be referred to as Olympic Champion on a track board.

Comment

Peter Rono was the first name that came to mind because of the event that I'm familiar with. My recollection is that he never won anything of any significance other than that race but I'd have to look. There may be others in other events I'm not quite as familiar with their history who would be better candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                          This is a silly topic. For example, if this topic ran in January 1961, based on the reasoning by some, then Peter Snell would feature highly.

Other than the drug cheats, this topic is also disrespectful to those who on the day was the greatest in the world in their event.
                          Oh my, I am sooooo sorry you feel the way you do......................

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post

Oh my, I am sooooo sorry you feel the way you do......................
                            Personally, I’m enjoying the discussion. That said, would you mind providing a bit more clarity on what we are looking for? I know you are not looking for the worst performance that somehow managed to win that day. I can’t tell if you are looking for the guy with the least distinguished career other than the gold medal? A one hit wonder kind of athlete?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

Personally, I’m enjoying the discussion. That said, would you mind providing a bit more clarity on what we are looking for? I know you are not looking for the worst performance that somehow managed to win that day. I can’t tell if you are looking for the guy with the least distinguished career other than the gold medal? A one hit wonder kind of athlete?
                              The word "worst" is a bit harsh, sorry for that. How about "least good " ? Your "least distinguished " fits pretty well.

Comment

"Who's the Worst Men's Olympic Champ, 1956-2016 ?!"
                                One time wonders or surprise winners do not count IMO.
                                Winners who lost gold getting caught cheating like Rashid Ramzi do not count IMO.
                                Many Boycotted Olympics (except 1976) do not count IMO.

The Winner who kept his gold medal and ruined many people lives isTim Montgomery.

He even kept his 4x100m gold even after accepting doping before 2000 Games. He ruined the life of one of the best female athletes of all time, Marion Jones. Last but not least spent good bit of time in jail for money laundering and heroin.

Comment

Working...
                                X