Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite Olympic men's 1500?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw Snell race a few times (not in the OG, except on TV), and his change of gears was at least equal to Ryun's!
    And I loved the all black Kiwi uniform!!
    LOL

Comment

Can anyone say what Elliott's fastest times were over 400 meters, 800 meters? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
        Athens 2004 hands-down.
        I like Athens 04 as well. Lots of pressure on the eventual winner, Lagat already an American citizen but nobody knew but Lagat, and Silva closing like a MF to go from last to bronze with a messed-up groin that required surgery after the games.

I also like 1988. How the hell did Rono win it? But he did!

Comment

Originally posted by ArchH41 View Post
          Can anyone say what Elliott's fastest times were over 400 meters, 800 meters? Thanks.
          My World Sports International Atheletics Annual from 1963 lists a London race from August, 1958 with the time of 1:47.3 for the 880, which at the time made him the third fastest ever for yards behind Courtney and Bowden. The 800 Meter list converted his time to 1:46.6 time, which by the end of 1962 made him tied for tenth fastest ever. When he ran it, it was tied for the fifth fastest ever with Derek Johnson and Rudy Harbig. When he ran it the only ones faster on the combinded lists were Moens, Courtney, Boysen and Bowden.

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
            2. 1968 ... Keino's incredible start and never really let up
            3. 2016 ... not a fan of sit and kick, but Centro's performance was really a masterpiece in doing what he had to in order to win.
            That's my top 2, for opposite reasons.
            I wanted Ryun to win it, but Keino took the bull by the horns and made it a survival test.
            I think EVERYone was astonished when Centro crossed the line, certainly he and I were. 'Did that really happen?' The suspense was overwhelming as we all waited for attacks to be launched, but one by one the favorites fell back.

Comment

Give me Cacho's 92 tactical win over Centrowitz's any day. Not a favourite for gold, home turf, a tremendous amount of pressure, a dramatic race, he hugged the inside all the way in around 3rd place until that last 200m where he was able to slip in front and let loose, to win by a big margin. And the great thing was it wasn't a one-off medal, he proved his worth the next year in Stuttgart, and of course came back for silver in Atlanta, before another medal in Athens.

Comment

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Cacho before this. You're right--it was a great win. A very exciting race to have watched.

Comment

Seb Coe in Moscow. Tremendous pressure after losing in 800 which he was expected to win. (And being called an idiot by Peter.)

Comment

I think the last one was the best, balls out from the gun, Cheryiot stretches the field, then JInge pulls away and wins with an OR, Kerr finishes strong for bronze and Hocker also finishes strong to get 6th. Just hard, honest racing.

Comment

2021 Tokyo race was not a bad at all.

My picks are
                      1968: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_9AAy7yZTc
                      1980: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMz0WZzWWlw
                      1956: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B8aMTHX810

My all time favorite 1500m race: 1974 Commonwealth1500m with Bayi and Walker both going under Ryan world record. There was an excellent YouTube video of this race but some jerk blocked it due to copyright ground. Are you kidding me?!
                      Last edited by GHM; 09-06-2021, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchH41 View Post

In his biography, The Golden Mile, he says that apart from a few sprints in primary school at age 9/10 he ran longer distances.

The only exception was when he decided that he wanted to win the all-around title at his school athletics carnival in 1955. That was the year he turned 17, so he was an U-18 athlete in modern terms.

He competed in a range of events over one day and run on the grass track at his school. He reported winning the following events (imperial distances):

100 10.6
                        220 23.4
                        440 51.0
                        880 1:59.4
                        mile 4:22
                        Broad Jump 19' 7.5" (5.98m)
                        The only other reference to running over 440 yards I could find was also from the the same book, where he says,

My first appearance of the season [1957-58] at [Melbourne] Olympic Park was at an inter-club meeting in which Ross Price defeated me in a quarter-mile.
                        To put this in context, Price was a fellow member of the Coburg Club, was 9 years older than Elliott, and, at 29, was coming to the end of his career. He had come 5th in the 1950 CWG final and was part of the winning quartet in the 4x400 and was a sub-48 runner at his best.

Price had run 49.2 the previous year but did not make the AUS performance lists for 57-58, which stop at 49.4. It's likely that an early season opening run coming off a high training volume meant Elliott would have been solidly over 50s. By how much is unknown to me at this time.

Elliott never competed in the 440 at the Victorian State Championships, nor the Australian Championships, so it is possible that his schoolboy time could be his PB.

Comment

Sebastian Coe 1984 because I saw it. I was a recent USC alumnus and had connections toward numerous tickets, including track and field that Saturday. It was such a memorable jam packed session. I guess that was before they added an extra day, because I keep remembering I saw both 1500s, both 5000s, plus all the relays and countless other events like shot put and high jump. Dwight Stones was jumping not far away from where I was sitting, which was goal line area for football at the peristyle end across from the press box. Basically across from the finish line. It was the same area as the USC student section for football so I felt right at home. Realistically I knew that Stones was too old to medal but I rooted for him anyway. Jumped very well but just missed.

Don King was seated one row above me and two seats to the right. That was the dominant variable all day because everyone was recognizing him and coming over to speak to him and take pictures. I can just imagine what it would have been like today. And Don King totally lived up to his image and reputation. He grinned all day while waving two small American flags. He kept saying, "Isn't this great? Only in America." I kept turning my head toward him and he would oblige. Frequent eye contact while sharing laughs. At one point he said, "You're loving this as much as I am."

Anyway, it was getting late and not the greatest visibility during that 1500. Lengthening shadows combined with the typical haze. I was rooting for Coe but didn't expect him to win. Ovett stepped off the track not far away from me. I mean smack in front of me, even though I was seated relatively high maybe row 40. Ovett stepping off was a huge distraction because it was such a big name and during the final lap. I kept glancing at him on the infield, and then back toward the runners. Not until the final 50 or 75 meters was I fully engaged and realized Coe could pull it out.

When Coe did win, he immediately turned to his right and glared upward. That image is forever ingrained. It is mine from across the stadium. I don't need any video. Even from that distance I could see the strained back and neck muscles, unleashing the mental ferocity.

Nobody else understood what was going on. There were numerous perplexed shouts of. "What is he doing?," primarily female voiced. I knew darn well and let them know: "Press box. He's glaring at the press." That was followed by lots of, "You must be right," and, "Oh, I see," with one member of a group explaining to the other.

For many years I had that race on my YouTube channel, under this user name. My dad thoughtfully taped the Games for me on ABC in Miami. I eventually uploaded the track and field and swimming from Los Angeles and Seoul to YouTube. More than 300 classic sports videos. For a long time I was the only one with those events. Some had more than a million views. Then without warning YouTube zapped my channel due to copyright complaints from the IOC. The sad aspect is not all the events have been uploaded by the IOC channel. I still have the tapes but am hesitant to try again. But others copied my videos. Some races currently on YouTube were directly copied from my channel. I can tell because of the editing that I did. Identical length of video, to the hundredths of a second. I have no idea why those videos survive while mine were attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
                            ​​​​​​.... I can tell because of the editing that I did. Identical length of video, to the hundredths of a second. I have no idea why those videos survive while mine were attacked.
                            Because trailblazers are always the guys who get arrows in their backs

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Because trailblazers are always the guys who get arrows in their backs
                              I guess so. Ticked me off because I devoted a lot of time to transferring those videos from VHS. Myself and many other YouTubers with track and field content discussed matters by private message. The criteria was very clear cut for a long time: ABC didn't care about any of its old Olympic content. That's why 1984 was so valuable and seemingly permanent. I also had lots of 1980 Lake Placid including the USA/USSR hockey game, plus all of Eric Heiden's races. The other guys told me that NBC didn't care either, as long as it wasn't recent. You could get away with 1988 and 1992 stuff but once it nibbled closer they got protective. Keep in mind this was circa 2006 when we were sorting everything out. I became a hero to the other uploaders because I was the only one with that 1984 men's high jump footage. They had been looking for years.

Then once the IOC started its own channel everything changed within days.

I've noticed that some of the surviving Olympic footage is intentionally labeled wrong. The uploaders don't title it specifically or use the ideal tags. That's largely why it isn't zapped.

Comment

Working...
                              X