Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The location of Bannister's first sub-4?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The location of Bannister's first sub-4?

Obviously, I know that it was in Oxford, Ifley Road. The reason for my question is that, on my first trip to Oxford many years ago, I'd thought I'd found the site, but at a place now known as Bannister Close, and there's an all-weather track closer to the town center which is now identified as the hallowed ground.
    Was I completely confused when I'd thought a cinder track at what's now known as Bannister Close was the correct site?

Bannister Close is parallel to Iffley Road and just near the track. Wikipedia says the Oxford track has been on the same site since 1876 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_..._running_track

You can confirm the location by checking out this picture from the Gettypictures archive https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detai...?adppopup=true

In the background, you can see the crenellations of St John the Evangelist church at 109a Iffley Rd, confirmed by this Wiki photo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Joh...ch,_Oxford.JPG

Comment

Definitely not that. I went to the track in the 90s and it is the same, now an all weather track. Bannister had his 40th get together there.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. My first time in Oxford was about 1972, and I made a special point of walking out Ifley Road. The track that I'd thought I'd found had certain buildings that I'd seen in photos from Bannister's autobiography and films of his run. I hate to use this term, but they were "quaint", and present at the track I'd found at what is now "Bannister Close". From there, I could also see the crenellations of St John the Evangalist church. Even on my first time in Oxford, I was aware of the current track which is identified as the one where Bannnister had run the first sub-4, and thought that, perhaps, an older and historic track had been a victim of progress ( Bannister Close is now a posh residential development)

Comment

That track by Google Earth and measurement appears to still be a 440-yard track.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            That track by Google Earth and measurement appears to still be a 440-yard track.
            No it is 400m now. In 2004 there was quite a big meet to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Bannister's run. I didn't officiate then, although I know quite a few people who did. A couple of weeks later I did officiate there for the annual Oxford v Cambridge match. The mile at that match did not start at the finish line.

The University track is relatively close to the city centre and should not be confused with the track owned by the city that is used by the local club that lies on the eastern edge of the city (near the BMW factory where Mini cars are made).

As an aside, back in the 1980s I used to wonder why so many cinder 400m tracks in the UK had 7 lanes. I eventually discovered that they would have been 6 lane 440y tracks that were converted to 400m by being extended to the inside and they became wide enough to fit an additional lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

As an aside, back in the 1980s I used to wonder why so many cinder 400m tracks in the UK had 7 lanes. I eventually discovered that they would have been 6 lane 440y tracks that were converted to 400m by being extended to the inside and they became wide enough to fit an additional lane.
              great piece of trivia!

Comment

That’s also why you occasionally find tracks with an extra lane for the 200, where only the one curve was pulled in.

Comment

Working...
                X